modem problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: modem problem

Hybrid View

modem problem

I had a problem the other night with my Winmodem. Every time I tried to log into the internet, it would hang up right after connecting. I logged on okay with my other computer with a different modem. After checking all of my settings and driver information, I couldn't find anything wrong. Finally after completely reinstalling Windows, it worked again, but I can't figure out why it kept hanging up. I'm convinced it was my modem doing it.

Don't blame your modem just yet...mine has been doing something very similar..connect..stay on for a few seconds...disconnect...over and over..called my ISP (Earthlink) the tech had me go into CONTROL PANEL-MODEMS-properties-connection tab-advanced button...uncheck error control and in extra setting add S10=255...make sure you use capital S...if that does'nt help go back and remove the extra settings and recheck the error control box...

Thanks, I'll keep that initialization setting in mind if it happens again. I deleted my OS and started fresh, and everything is okay for now.

Thread Information