Adding another HD and install
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Adding another HD and install

Hybrid View

Adding another HD and install

Have IBM clone, Windows 95 (FAT 32), AMD 166MMX, 2.4Gig Western Digital HD, built one year ago. The hard drive is partitioned into C: and D:, with E: being the CDROM. I need to add another HD, probably around 6 Gig. What's the difference between IDE, SCSI, etc. Is it the cabling and connection types for the HDs? Can I add another type, or should I match it to the type of HD I have now? I also would like to make the new bigger drive C:, use the old one as D:, then reformat it. How do I dump everything from the old drive to the new one, and still make the new drive C:? Not sure how this will affect applications, etc if a program is changed from one drive letter to another, and other such potential problems.
    AOpen and shut case
    Thunderbird w/ a VW radiator
    Soyo Mobo Sobo Moyo
    128 Ram, 64 Sheep
    Philips Monitor, to watch the sheep
    Turtle Beach Montego, CA
    Hercules Terminator Swarzenegger 3D
    Seagate Baracuda Cheetah Hyena HD
    Apollo, Olympus, and Sampson Printers, Inc.
    Umax, Memax, Weallmax Scanner

MR. MOSH1999 give me a e-mail I will explain how to do all of this and we will post everything that we do on the forum. But first to answer some questions.
    One diff between SCSI and IDE is SCSI is most always faster, more expensive, you usually can have up to 7 devices on one SCSI chain 14 on adaptec 2940UW controller cards (7 for 50 pin and 7 for 68pin), and for SCSI you would only use one IRQ in Windows where as if you use IDE you would use one IRQ per IDE device, SCSI is more reliable than IDE in most cases, and I like SCSI more than IDE anyway. But for IDE it works just as good is stable most of the time, reliable most of the time. But if you need help with all of this give me a shout

Thanks tristen, when I do install it, I'll remember you.
    AOpen and shut case
    Thunderbird w/ a VW radiator
    Soyo Mobo Sobo Moyo
    128 Ram, 64 Sheep
    Philips Monitor, to watch the sheep
    Turtle Beach Montego, CA
    Hercules Terminator Swarzenegger 3D
    Seagate Baracuda Cheetah Hyena HD
    Apollo, Olympus, and Sampson Printers, Inc.
    Umax, Memax, Weallmax Scanner

Remember thst if you add a SCSI drive to a system w/an EIDE drive the system (w/most BIOS and Intel "related"(?) chips) will boot from the EIDE; i.e., you won't easily be able to add a SCSI drive to an EIDE-equipped system and make the SCSI drive the C: drive. The area that made SCSI's name was data throughput and you can still benefit from SCSI throughput and addability (real word?) while leaving your EIDE drive as the boot drive. Good luck!

------------------

Thread Information