Floppy drive(s) dead?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Floppy drive(s) dead?

Floppy drive(s) dead?

I have a computer that both floppies (3.5 & 5.25) drive led's stay on. BIOS checks O.K. Get "Drive not ready" error message when trying to access (DOS or WIN95). Tried new 3.5 drive and new cable. Tried one drive hook-up at a time. Same results. Is my integrated MB floppy port dead? Haven't tried a seperate I/O board yet.

If the LED is on, then you have probably connected the cables backwards. Notice the red strip on your cable. That end correspond to PIN 1 on your floppy drive and your floppy controller connector.

Usually, pin 1 on your floppy is facing the power connector.

Note that drive A: must always be at the end of your floppy cable to function properly. Drive B: must be connected to the middle. Turn off the "Swap floppy drives" option in your BIOS.

Last post is probably right. In my first attempt at putting together my own system I killed my floppy by hooking up power cable backwards. Its supposed to only fit one way, but with a little effort it can be made to fit the other (oops).

BSnow

I forgot to mention that they had both been working since it was built, then for some unknown reason, now they're not. So the swapped cable thing is out. I'm guessing power surge or something like that. Any other ideas?

Note to Bsnow: How did you get that thing on upside down? I have had trouble getting some off and on the correct way!

Thread Information