cd-rom won't spin up
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: cd-rom won't spin up

Hybrid View

cd-rom won't spin up

My cd-rom won't spin up when machine boots up. It has the mscdex.exe file loaded correctly.
    When I go to drive D: and do a dir command I get a message that says cdr101 something to the effect that it cannot read the drive.
    What is wrong.

ok, mscdex is running, but is it loading the correct driver for you cd-rom in your config.sys.
    Is it Powered??
    Plugged in backwards???
    What caused this error, is it a new cdrom or an old one that just stopped working??

The cd-rom is plugged in correct and has power to it because the door opens and closes. It has the mcsdex file loaded.
    If I sent you the complete config.sys file to you would that help any? You might be able to see what is or is not working correct. The cd-rom used to work and has not been used that much. When I go to D drive and do a dir command I get an error message that is cdr101 and something to the effect that it could not find the drive.
    If I checked codes correctly the cdr101 error is an interrupt failure.
    Any help is appreciated
    John

If your dive tries to spin up but doesn't come up; this my help. My drive would start to spin and make a funny sound like it was slipping and just hang everything up whilethe computer gave it time to come up, which it wouldn't and so the computer gave up on it. What I did was open the CD ROM case and found that on the underside of the bracket which is above the CD spindle the is a little pressur plate which has a metal washer and a ring of some type of magnetic material, the magnetic material is supposed to be glued into its cavity, it holds on to the metal washer and that contacts the CD when it is pushed up. I re-glued mine. This is the problem I had, your CD drive may be different or slippage may not be your problem anyway it's something to consider. Good luck

Thread Information