3com sportser 56k getting only 3K per sec??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 3com sportser 56k getting only 3K per sec??

3com sportser 56k getting only 3K per sec??

I recently downloaded an internet transfer speed benchmark program. Upon running while I had a connection active it reported that i was only getting 3k/sec for my 56k modem (internal)!!! i'm using this on my old machine that has a 166mmx w/32 megs of ram. Just so you know this test was done at 3am, and even though I know there are other factors such as line quality and ISP throughput, i can't believe it says i'm only getting 3K?? If anybody else has experienced this or know info on how I can improve the speed (i've also used the various "MTU" tweak programs) i'd greatly appriciate it.

Thanks,

Big Daddy

its not as bad as you think. the 56k is bits per sec. the 3k is bytes per sec. about the best download speed you get is 6kbytes/sec. this is approx 48k bits/sec.

the 3kbytes is not unusual & maybe server related. there is a long list of things to look at to tweak the dun connection. some folks never get better than 28K on the connection.

best bet is to start with recommended settings from ISP. read everything at the 3com/USR web site. check your line quality & go from there. 2 other steps are new isp & new modem.

you don't give enough info to give more than general advice.

DUUHHHHHH!!!

Thanx Hambone for educating the ignorant. As Carson would say "I did not know that!" NOw I don't feel so bad, I know the quality of lines here (richmond) is not that great. So I will set myself to be happy with what I have.

Thread Information