CD rom. Which brand to go with
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: CD rom. Which brand to go with

CD rom. Which brand to go with

My current cd rom is making a real high
    pitched sound. IF you where looking to
    replace yours which brand would you go for.
    certainly ONE has be more durable than the
    rest. OR NOT. Steve
    THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR ASSIATANCE.

I recently bought an AOpen 36x and it works fine with one important exception: it's worthless when copying CD->CD-R, there is a big chance of buffer underrun since the AOpen doesn't read the CD constantly. So when copying CD's I use my Pioneer 24x which is actually better than the AOpen 36x. With txo exceptions... First it's really noisy and second it only manages audio-extraction at 2x. If I'd buy one today I'd go for NEC 40x. It's supposed to be very fast and not very noisy.

The TEAC 532EK is supposed to be good. Its fast (although only 32-speed) and apparently does not make much noise.

If you want the fastest drives, go with plextor or hi-val. The hi-val 40x40 drive is an excellent ide-atapi choice. The 40x40 has a continuous 40x read capability that is unmatched by any other ide drive, but the drive does not read cd-rw media. The 40x40 drive is also one of the most expensive drives out there for ide. A good choice would be a panasonic (matsu****a) or toshiba drive. I am currently using a toshiba 24x drive and it works very well. I have also owned a creative (panasonic oem) 24x drive and a samsung 8x drive. The creative drive did not read as many formats as the toshiba drive did, and was also slower, but the spin up time and random seek were faster than the toshiba (at least on my systems). Stay away from acer drives, they are slow. My friend has some good benchmarking utilities, and found the acer 36x drive could only extract data at 24x and audio at 4x. His creative 24x drive could extract data at 24x and audio at 8x. Pioneer drives are also good, but they do not read as many formats as the others do. Currently, if I were to replace my cd-rom, I would save up and try to get a 40x40 hi-val drive, but my 24x toshiba is still working great with neary a problem reading media from cd-r to cd-i and cd-v. My second choice would be toshiba, third would be panasonic. If I had a scsi controller, it would be plextor all the way.
    Sometimes I wonder...

stevena,

You know, i'm having the same problem with my cd-rom drive also making loud nosie. Believe it or not, it only happens to some and not all cd that I place in the cd-rom. Does this happen to you too? I think the reason that our cd rom is making so much nosie is cause, it's not tighten down tight enuff to the computer case. Let me know whats up.

Tinkertron!

Thread Information