Kyro II Problem, Please Advise
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Kyro II Problem, Please Advise

Kyro II Problem, Please Advise

I bought my Kyro II a couple months back now, and I'm finally getting back into a couple games. Have tried Counterstrike and Dungeon Siege... anyway, frame rates are well below where they should be (In my opinion). CS is a constant 70 fps until I get into a battle or jump around a corner quickly when they drop to ~10-15. I have to play Dungeon Siege in 640x480 with all the options turned way down, and I STILL get 18 fps. I used to have a Xentor 32 (TNT2 Ultra) and always ran without a hitch. I remember reading that the Kyro II's performance was substantially better with more powerful machines, but shouldn't it still be able to run a game like cs at a decent frame rate??

Anyway, here are my specs
    Duron 700
    256 PC133 SDRAM
    30 GB ATA100 7400 RPM HD
    SB PCI 128

I've tried lots of different drivers but nothing seems to work. Any advice what so ever would be appreciated. thanks

Ohyeah, and of course my Video Card is a Hercules Prophet 4500 TV-Out (64 MB)

Try the usual stuff -i.e. new drivers, updates for counter strike.

I don't have a Kyro II card but I believe there was an issue with Counterstrike to do with smoke clouds.

The Kyro's are very much more CPU dependent than the TNT2's (and massively more than the Radeons or Geforces). Hence your Duron 700 is a little underpowered for optimal performance with the KyroII (I remember one review recommended a minimum of a Duron 900). Duron's are generally good overclockers so if your board supports overclocking (if not sure post details of the board - preferably in motherboard or overclocking sections and we can advise)

Found some Kyro/KryoII related FAQ sites. They may be of some use
    http://www.powervr.org.uk/faq/faq.htm http://www.paraknowya.com/specials/faq/index.shtml http://www.powervr.org.uk/faq/faq.htm

I had a KII, but I never played either of those games. The biggest (maybe only) crutch that the KII has is its lack of hardware T&L, which both of those games may use. It leaves the T&L to the processor, which is why a fast cpu is recommended.

I would start tweaking the games you play (quality settings, etc). That helped quite a bit with Q3. I don't know what settings you can play with, but usually its simple things like "marks on walls," "ejecting brass," etc. Texture detail shouldn't be a problem though.
    Give what you cannot keep to gain what you cannot lose.

Half the way between a PC screen and the scary real life...
    I own a KyroII, and used to have a Duron 750.
    At stock speed, CS was still nice to play at 800*600 with this CPU.

What drivers are you using? Try PowerVR's generic drivers.
    True that smoke clouds can make your framerate drop though...
    CS is based on Q2 engine, thus T&L shouldn't be an issue.

Are those 2 games the only ones you have tried?
    Main rig: Athlon64 x2 4200+ | Asrock 939N68PV-GLAN | 4x512MB PC3200 | 120GB Seagate | Samsung DVDRW SH-S203D | VX550W PSU | WinXP Home SP3 / Ubuntu 7.10
    Headache generator: K6-2 500 | FIC VA503+ | 2x64MB PC133 | Voodoo 3 2000 PCI | SB32 ISA PnP | 15,2MB IBM | Xubuntu 8.04 / DeLiLinux 0.7.2
    Lappy: Compaq EVO N115 | Mobile Duron 1GHz | 384MB PC133 | VIA KM133 | Xubuntu 8.04
    A big thanks to MS's Vista for making me look into Linux distros!

I bumped my Duron up to 750 and saw a DRAMATIC improvement. I used to have it at 900... I'm gonna have to think about putting all my fans back in my case, because 900 is tempting. 750 is good for now though, with just one case fan and the default voltage.

Thanks for the advice!

Thread Information