Good projection TV
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Good projection TV

Good projection TV

Can anyone recomend a good projection television in the 43" range (non HDTV). In case this is off topic I plan on hooking it up to my Radeon 8500dv. I dont want to spend much more than around $2300 CDN (hopefully much less). Also, does anyone know of any good dealers in the Toronto area I should buy from?

------------------
    Sarcasm is sometimes difficult to express, and is often subtle.

Just out of curiosity;

If you plan to use the projection TV as a standard monitor, that is a BAD idea. Projection TVs are very susceptible to burn-in. That means for example, your windows icons or the health bars or similar of your favorite game can/will get burned permanently into your monitor.

If you plan on using it just for DVD output, and are planning on spending projection TV money, I'd recommend on getting a high quality TV and stand-alone DVD player. HDTV with progressive composite inputs and a progressive scan DVD player would be even better if you have the money.

But using a projection TV for computer use or even game console use (PS2, Xbox, etc.) is not a good idea. It won't burn in right away, but it will eventually start to leave shadows and dark spots.

If it is mostly for computer use and you want the size, do yourself a favor and take that money and get a quality 21" monitor.

------------------
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2

Thanks for the reply. I dont want to use the TV as a primary monitor. My video card supports two displays and I would like to be able to use the TV to watch DVD's and DIVX movies. This will only be from time to time so I dont think burn will be a problem. I considered getting a Sony Wega TV, but I want the size and some of the tv's I've looked at look great (The toshiba 43" looks fantastic). I've always wanted a big screen TV, so thats what I've decided to go for.

------------------

Mitsubish make a quality tv. I have had my 60" for over 5 years now and it is still runnen great. I have had friends buy various other brands and had them go out in1-2 years. I am now thinken of getting a new one only because i want the new features and digital
    Buy quality you will be happier in the long run
    imac intel cor 2 duo
    Nw8000
    Winxp
    Ebay seller Buy-2-Sell
    Heatware $ponge

You could also buy a dvd that plays vcd's. then you could just play the vcd's on the dvd player. www.vcdhelp.com
    imac intel cor 2 duo
    Nw8000
    Winxp
    Ebay seller Buy-2-Sell
    Heatware $ponge

Thanks for the input. Any idea where I should buy one?

------------------

Hey Rock Dog, You response has me doing some research and now I'm second guessing projection TVs. What I want to know is how carefull I need to be with them. On the net I hear screen burn in is caused from everything from Closed Captioning to wathching too many DVDs in 16:9 format (asoming the TV is standard). How worried do I need to be about this. For example, how long would it take, assuming full contrast and brightness, would it take to burn a stationary image onto a screen? Like say if I wanted to do it on purpose.

------------------

a better place to ask is probably over here..
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/

------------------
    Visit my website!
    look for me on AIM as GoSh4rks or on ICQ as #46997155

i picked up a 50" mitsubishi on ebay extremely cheap a year and a half ago. it was a used but not bruised 1995 model that i use in part to view DVD from a PC s-video output and sometimes for an xbox. the picture is still sharp and colors are aligned and there isnt any tube burn. i'm not sure if this is due to what $ponge says about mitsubishi's but i have a friend who has a 48" mitsu the same age as mine and that still functions just as well.

i do suggest checking out ebay; you may be lucky and find something close to you that you can avoid shipping costs with as i did.

if you prefer the standalone route instead of PC, Samsung makes a great inexpensive combo box that plays VHS, DVD, VCD, and MP3. the one i saw was a DVD-V1000

Thank you both for the input. I will check out Mitsubishi, have so far neglected to. GOSHARKS that forum is exactly what I was looking for, Thank you.

------------------

Thread Information