DVD Flickering
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: DVD Flickering

DVD Flickering

I've a 8x USB 2.0 DVD hook up to my 475mhz notebook computer. When I play the movie the screen sometimes flickering. Does anyone know why? Are there any fixes for this problem? Please post some tips. Thanks!!!

i'm just guessing, but does the notebook have enough ram? also wouldn't using the usb player slow down the transfer from the player to the notebook??

The notebook has 160meg of ram and this is the latest USB2.0 not USB1.1 interface. Does anyone has any tips?

Try reading this article, although it tries to sell its software there are some tips in there.

What DVD encoder are you using? You could try another to see if that helps.

What diplay card are you using to play the DVD and what software player are you using as well?

[This message has been edited by Berserker (edited 03-27-2002).]

I'm using WinDVD ver 2.x and the display card of my notebook is Trident Cyberblade. Please post some tips. Thanks!!!

what kinda chip is it?(the cpu)

is dma enabled on the dvd drive?(don't kow if this even matters on a usb drive, probay not)

and i guess it is dumb to ask but is the port on your laptop usb2?

Justintime Guest
    anyway to set a refresh rate on your DVD software?

------------------
    Nick's page

BINK'S HWC MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY

Any cpu with less than 600Mhz will drop frames.
    XT2800@190, 2x512@sync, ASUS A7N8X-E, 9800Pro

The CPU on my notebook computer is AMD 475mhz, It is using USB2.0 to PCMCIA port. Is there any way I can stop the flickering? Please post some tips. Thanks!!!

well, if Marcio is right sounds like the only way is to upgrade.

It sounds like you have a very budget system. That is a K6-2 475. It uses a 95Mhz bus and has very bad memory scores. The Blade graphics card is about the worst one out there. WinDVD also has version 3.1 out now. You can get 3.0 free at most download sites. Unless you added USB 2.0 to your laptop, it is dropping your nice USB 2.0 DVD drive back down to USB 1.1. This will cut the performance considerably.

Using a GeForce2 GTS on an AthlonXP 1600+ with 256MB DDR tweeked to the max and WinDVD 3.1 I get perfect playback. The CPU utalisation runs about 30%. If the Blade is not as good at playback you will definately start dropping frames at 475MHz.

Now if you had a dedicated DVD decoder card (probably not too many that would fit in your laptop) you would run fine. These things only required a Pentium 133. Most laptops are not very upgradable and finding parts that fit in those odd-ball expansion slots (if the system even has one) is pretty tough.

I think it is time to upgrade. You can get a nice laptop for just over $1000.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information