new video card, dual head+ quake 3
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: new video card, dual head+ quake 3

new video card, dual head+ quake 3

Hi there,

I'm in the market for a new graphics card but it must have certain functions. I have an ATI radeon all in wonder 32mb agp which is poo and I'm absolutely sick of corrupted graphics and functions of the card not working as they are described.

first and foremost it must have dual head display due to the fact I feel this is the way to go with cubase, so I have been looking at matrox g550 and 450 but from what I gather these cards are not very good at 3d games which I am quite partial with so preferebly I would like to go with a geforce3 or 4 but haven't come across any with dual head, I know ati do a radeon 8500 with dual head but with every ati card I have known on any system they don't work properly and all the functions that are advertised on the 8500 don't work properly.

I know I could use two cards, one agp and one pci but I have filled all my slots with other peripherals.

plus I need to be able to work @ 1600*1200 on main monitor and at least 1280*1024 on the 2cnd preferably the 2cnd monitor will be a flat panel,
    but I would like to have the possibility of either flat panels or crt on both outputs so my choices of monitors are increased ( the matrox does this)

what are the properties of the matrox cards playing quake @ 1280*1024 32bit colour?

anyway looking forward to reading the replies

snadge

Firstly, welcome to HWC. Stick around.

Quite a few (if not all) GF4Ti's have dual DVI/VGA output. Depends what your price range is really. I too use Cubase and a few 3D modelling programs; the dual-monitor setup in a real help. Actually was just running Reason (dunno whether you've heard of that) in two montors, with one set up to show "above" the other one. Pretty good for what is supposed to be a rack-emulation system! I'm gonna recommend the 8500 even though you said it wasn't an option. What are the specs of your system? I have a mate with a G450 that games quite a bit and finds performance quite acceptable in Quake3@1280x1024x32, and usually runs 1024x768x32 in Wolfenstein with almost everything maxed. Gets about 40fps.

plus I need to be able to work @ 1600*1200 on main monitor and at least 1280*1024 on the 2cnd preferably the 2cnd monitor will be a flat panel,
    but I would like to have the possibility of either flat panels or crt on both outputs so my choices of monitors are increased ( the matrox does this)
    Shouldn't be a problem for most of the dual-ouput solutions available today. If you can get a DVI flatscreen then even better.

MuFu.

------------------
    Athlon XP@2000+
    Cooler Master HHC-001@7V
    KG7-R
    Crucial 512MB@152Mhz
    Radeon 8500LE@310/620MHz
    60GXP 60GB
    75GXP 30GB
    SBLive! 5.1
    PlexWriter 10/10/40A
    Pioneer 16x DVD
    LG Flatron 795FT+
    WinXP

[This message has been edited by Mutha Funker (edited 03-12-2002).]
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Hi thanx for the reply, price, preferably under 250, the radeon 8500 I've found out doesn't give true dual monitor support thru it's "hydravision" technology it just stretches the desktop, with me having a yamaha dsp factory in cubase I want the sequencer section on my main computer ( 1600*1200) and the mixing console of the dsp factory on the other alternating with my fnord modular editor (1280*1024)( either cubases mixer or cmexx ( different proggy )) and the radeon f***s up when you use two different proggies, spec follows.
    epox 8kha+

athlon 1800xp

512mb crucial ddr 2100 ram
    60gb seagate ata100 7200rpm hd 40gb win98lite for music 20gb win2000pro for video

20gb ata100 7200rpm ibm hd red hat 7.1

ati wonder if I'll ever use all the functions radeon heap of poo 32mb agp( all in wonder)

adaptec firewire card
    adaptec scsi card

linksys tx100 network card

yamaha dsp factory 2 * ax44 i/o

actually I've just realised due to me binning
    my motu midi interface I have a spare slot so two graphics cards would go in now so suggestions would be welcome but who still does good pci graphics?

regards snadge

Thread Information