Capturing from VHS to computer (mpg)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Capturing from VHS to computer (mpg)

Capturing from VHS to computer (mpg)

I'm a total and complete newbie to this process. I currently have a Voodoo3 3000 AGP card with TV-OUT. Do I still need a separate Capture Card to do this? Which do you recommend for a poor guy like myself? I assume it will come with software and cables necessary? Firewire cards are just adapters and I would still need a capture card right?

I plan to capture to mpg format as I am at least familiar with creating VCDs from mpgs. It's just the VHS (vcr) --> computer part I need info on. Would I simply plus in the cable from the VCR's line-out to the capture card's line-in and startup the software?

How long would it take for the whole process of a 45-minute VHS to MPG? Disk space?

Is DIVX better?

Thanks guys!

[This message has been edited by rh71 (edited 02-19-2002).]

I used an old Dazzle video creator. They now have better and faster products depending on what you are trying to do. You hook it up like you said in your post and that's pretty much it. Mine was an old parallel port version but there are now usb and firewire version available.

[This message has been edited by Huge (edited 02-19-2002).]
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

I can't tell you all the options and steps of how to do it, but www.vcdhelp.com has everything you will need to know.

If I were you, sell that outdated Voodoo 3, and buy an ATI All-in-Wonder 8500DV.. This thing is comparative geforce 3 3D performance, has video in and video out, remote control, maybe some firewire connections, digital audio connections, DVD decoding, all the cool video toys you could want. And there is a lot of support for it.

Look up that vcd site, and maybe the ATI site for that card and you'll see what I mean.

Good luck.

------------------
    Thunderbird 1.2@1.4 on Abit KT7A-Raid, 256mb PC133, 60gb IBM HD, AIW Radeon, Acoustic Edge 5.1, Modem Blaster v.92, on WinXP Pro.
    2600+ on Abit NF7-S 2.0, 1024mb PC2700, 60gb IBM HD, AIW Radeon, 56k modem, on WinXP Pro SP1.

Thanks for the ATI card recommendation. I am planning to get rid of the V3 3000 when the GeForce4 comes out... so I can get a GeForce3 for cheaper. I'll look into the ATI as well.

For now... I've found http://www.shopharmony.com/secure/pr...ItemID=DM-6200

I see at the very bottom that the requirement for capture from VCR is "VCR with DV (Firewire EiLink/IEEE1394) port required." I don't believe any VCRs have this port on the back of them (I have an old Panasonic)... do they mean I will need a Firewire card installed separately on my machine to use this capture card? I'm new to this Firewire stuff... so I assume it's just an interface for the connector, like buying a PCI USB adapter.

I've been frequenting VCDHelp (and forums there) but they don't talk about capturing from VCR much... mostly just DV camcorders.

------------------
    http://www.rh71.com (high bandwidth preferable)

[This message has been edited by rh71 (edited 02-19-2002).]

Originally posted by Stuff:
    If I were you, sell that outdated Voodoo 3, and buy an ATI All-in-Wonder 8500DV..
    Ummm... He said he was poor. An inexpensive card with tv in and out is the msi 8836 Geforce 2 Ti. That would give you quite a performance increase over your V3. www.msi.com.tw

------------------
    Duron 900@1100
    512mb PC133 RAM Micron
    Geforce 2 Ti 275/425
    40Gb Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 7200rpm
    `\O/
    /////////////////////
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    _/ \_

[This message has been edited by nodnod (edited 02-24-2002).]

[This message has been edited by nodnod (edited 02-24-2002).]
    CPU: Athlon X2 7850 Blackbox edition o/c'd to 3400mhz
    Motherboard: Asus M2N68-AM SE2
    Memory: 4gb Kingston KVR RAM
    Video: BFG Geforce gtx 260 oc v2
    Hard Drives: 1TB Barracuda 7200.12, 500GB WD, 320GB WD, 320GB WD 250GB WD, 250GB Seagate
    Case: APEVIA X-CRUISER-BK Black Steel case
    Power Supply: OCZ 700W StealthXStream Power Supply
    Optical: 22x LG DVD R/W

Thread Information