Why cooling memory chips?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Why cooling memory chips?

Why cooling memory chips?

Why are there heatsinks on memory chips on some graphics cards? I have a geforce 3 with NO heatsinks, and they are pretty cool to the touch even after heavy gaming! Then why bother with big metal lumps close to sensitive electrical equipment?

Enlighten me....

/Salmoneus

Justintime Guest
    some memory do require cooling, due to the high speeds, while some are added for comsmetics
    It all depends on the brand of the board, and how the manufacturer deems it necessary to ensure stability at normal speeds (which on some boards the memory is clocked higher and the timing set to close to maximum of the chips for performance boosts).

------------------
    Jr

BINK'S HWC MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY

Check this out from Hard|OCP, for instance:

As I had mentioned, under normal desktop conditions the card performed fantastically. During heavy testing, gaming, or benchmarking, the card developed texture "tearing" and other glitches. I removed the card and made sure the heatsink was making good contact with the GPU and that a proper amount of thermal compound was used. It is then when I noticed this. . .

Here's the full review. Interestingly, the Abit card is also an excellent overclocker despite requiring memory heatsinks to operate at default clockspeed.

I'm going to put RAMsinks on my 8500 since I've increased the memory voltage and now want to go a little further without causing heat-related artifacting in games and long-term memory damage.

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...

Bink's HWC GALLERY
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

Salmoneus,

What speed are your memory chips clocked at?, my ASUS GF3 Ti200 has no heatsinks on the memory and I'm frightened to overclock it.

Are you running defaults and if so what are they?

------------------
    He who dares wins or is severely burnt!
    He who dares wins or is severely burnt!

Hey Mutha Funker, I think the problem they had with the heatsink on their card actually insolated the memory chip. It likely would not have locked up if they just removed the heatsink.

Most memory will only gain small mounts when cooled. My GeForce2 GTS has 333Mhz memory and no heatsinks. I could run it at 400Mhz with no extra cooling. At 405 I'd get artifacts pretty bad in Quake3. With home made Ramsinks, I could take it up to 410 with no trouble. The artifacts appeared at 415, but did not get as bad as befor untill about 425.

The "big metal lumps" have no bad effect on the chips. It might actually help sheild the chip from outside interferance.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Justintime Guest
    Yeah MF, more than likely the heat buildup between the chip and sink was causing overheating.

------------------
    Jr

BINK'S HWC MEMBER PHOTO GALLERY

Good point. I did think it was a little weird.

MuFu.

------------------
    More # please...

Bink's HWC GALLERY
    Opteron 144@2.8GHz (stock HS/fan), Asus A8N-SLI SE (passive NB), 1.5GB RAM (2:3:2:5, 2T), WD Raptor 740GD 74GB, Maxtor DM10 300GB, Asus EN7600GT SILENT@???, M-Audio Revo 7.1, Nebula DigiTV, Dell 2005FPW, Enermax 431W Active.

My card runs default at 175, and I have tried 200 without problems. (Original GF3 speed)

/Salmoneus

Thread Information