PCI vs. AGP???
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: PCI vs. AGP???

PCI vs. AGP???

Hey guys. I'm trying to help out someone I know with his video problem. He tells me he's got a Visiontek GeForce2 PCI. What he says happens is when he's watching a DVD, and he gets near the end, the screen starts "skipping" and he says the sound starts skipping as well. I was wondering if you thought an AGP card would work better for him. I already had him pull the modem and the NIC, and move the vid card away from the sound card, but that didn't fix him. Sorry I don't know the rest of his system specs, but I could find out. It's a Compaq that I believe he got at Radio Shack, not the best computer but he wants me to help him out since he just got the computer 6 months ago and thinks it should be working better. I told him to let me build him one that I know will work, but no dice. Thanks in advance.

Welcome to HWC sherma

I don't think an AGP card would change things (that is, he may even not have an AGP slot at all). If that happens near the end of every DVD, and it works OK for the rest of the movie, I might suspect the DVD drive to be faulty or something, especially if the sound also skips. I would try another DVD-ROM drive first (or maybe the same drive with another DVD player software), or updated drivers for the videocard could also maybe help.

Good luck!

------------------
    "Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it"

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

U need a strong system for playing dvd movies
    1)A good cpu
    2)a fast video card[preferably agp]
    3)a fast sound card
    4)a nice dvd drive
    5)updated drivers for everything
    6)a good software dvd player

------------------
    Don't think you can..know you can
    Config

P III 450 MHz
    128 MB RAM
    32 MB TNT2 Model 64 with Det v28.32
    Win 98SE/XP Dual Boot

Justintime Guest
    not necessarily, you could get a DVD decoder card, if your cpu is of a low speed and graphics cards not up to par, i remember using one years ago when i built my first 'proper' setup with win 95 and a P166 MMX , which was the first comp i built with a DVD drive. memories....

[This message has been edited by Justintime (edited 02-16-2002).]

Can it be the DVD itself? If the DVD(s)have scratches that may be the problem. If not, then it probably is the DVD drive.

hve you tried a dvd that is not scratched to see if that is the problem?

------------------
    Duron 900 @ 1060 1.7v (8x133)
    Abit Kt7a
    192 mb ram
    ATI Radeon 32mb ddr
    win2k sp2

Sometimes it takes a while for the acid to kick in

The GeForce2 MX PCI is not the best but anything around a P2 450 or better should handle DVD playback. Make sure there is nothing else running. It sounds more like a DVD or drive issue sinse both sound and video start skipping. If it does it on all disks it is likely a drive problem.

Yes a DVD decoder card offloads about 90% or more of the load from the CPU. An ATI card with their theater chip ofloads about 60%. Most other cards ofload about 25-40%. ATI has always been the best for DVD unless you want a decoder card.

You can pick up a Sigma Design PCI RealMagic Hollywood+ Decoder Card Kit $41 here:
    http://www.jazztechnology.com/P_342.htm

Here are the specs for it:
    http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/hollywood_plus.htm

The system requirements is an AMD or Intel based CPU of 133MHz or higher. Not much if you ask me.

------------------
    AthlonXP 1600+ 1.65v 42'C
    FOP32-1 Mod w/80mm 30db
    Epox 8KHA+ KT266A
    256MB Crucial DDR266 cas2
    GeForce2 GTS (210/410)
    Sound Blaster Audigy
    Antec SX-630 Case (mod'd)
    TTGI TT-350-SS 370w PS
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information