Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help!

Hey guys...I gotta problem...

I just got done putting together my first DIY machine and my graphics card/display adaptor is driving me nuts.

Here is the system:

Mobo: ECS KTVA3 (KT266A)
    CPU: Athlon 1700+
    Ram: 256 DDR
    Vid: Gainward/Cardexpert GeForce 2 Ti/450 (w/out TV Out)

So everything seems to be working great...except that my monitor shows as "default" and I can't install the proper drivers.

I tried to install the unitily that came on the enclosed CD (EXPERTool (which say's its installed but wont run)). I have been having problems with the drivers/display (only gives me "Default Monitor" 16 Colors and 640X480 or 800X600).

I have tried to use the drivers on the CD they sent but when I try to install them I get an "not compatable with Win2000" error message.

SOOO... I downloaded the Detonator Driver Ver:14.10 (WHQL) and was able to get that driver installed (once) and my monitor to recognize (optiquest)...but I still had only the 16 Colors, 640X480 or 800X600 options and no Expert Tool or other devise to manipulate the settings.

Since this small success I have tried to install the "faster" drivers on the CD and I now can't get the WHQL driver installed at all (my monitor is back to default again).

Needless to say, I'm ready to pull my hair out. I dont know what Ive done wrong (something with the MoBo? something with my Win2000 install?)

ANY suggestions or directions would be greatly appreciated!

Manila, Philippines
    I had this problem once with Windows 98... I remember remedying it with the installation of DirectX. Try that! If it doesn't work, I don't know what else to tell you... it's beyond my comprehension.

Welcome to Hardware Central.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

First of all, dont panic A couple of things, forget about using expertool, it sucks, it kept crashing my system. Go to and download Powerstrip, its much better.

Second, try downloading some other Nvidia drivers, i wouldnt worry too much about WHQL compatability, get the 23.11 drivers from or you can try previous drivers at

Also, check your BIOS, i'm not sure in yours, but in mine there is a tab that says PCI/Plug and Play Setup. Set Plug and PLay Aware O/S to Yes......Primary Graphics Adapter to AGP.......and Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA to yes.
    Another thing, go to device manager and see if there are any conflicts among your componants.

AMD Athlon 1600 XP
    ECS K7S5A
    512 MB Crucial DDR
    30 GB Western Digital HDD
    Aopen 56x CDROM
    Gainward Geforce 2 Ti@285/523
    Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Windows XP Pro
    AMD Athlon 1600XP @1596 w/AX-7+Panaflo H1A
    Epox 8K3A
    512 MB Crucial PC2100 Fast settings
    30 GB WD HDD