Help!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Help!

Help!

Hey guys...I gotta problem...

I just got done putting together my first DIY machine and my graphics card/display adaptor is driving me nuts.

Here is the system:

Mobo: ECS KTVA3 (KT266A)
    CPU: Athlon 1700+
    Ram: 256 DDR
    Vid: Gainward/Cardexpert GeForce 2 Ti/450 (w/out TV Out)

So everything seems to be working great...except that my monitor shows as "default" and I can't install the proper drivers.

I tried to install the unitily that came on the enclosed CD (EXPERTool (which say's its installed but wont run)). I have been having problems with the drivers/display (only gives me "Default Monitor" 16 Colors and 640X480 or 800X600).

I have tried to use the drivers on the CD they sent but when I try to install them I get an "not compatable with Win2000" error message.

SOOO... I downloaded the Detonator Driver Ver:14.10 (WHQL) and was able to get that driver installed (once) and my monitor to recognize (optiquest)...but I still had only the 16 Colors, 640X480 or 800X600 options and no Expert Tool or other devise to manipulate the settings.

Since this small success I have tried to install the "faster" drivers on the CD and I now can't get the WHQL driver installed at all (my monitor is back to default again).

Needless to say, I'm ready to pull my hair out. I dont know what Ive done wrong (something with the MoBo? something with my Win2000 install?)

ANY suggestions or directions would be greatly appreciated!

I had this problem once with Windows 98... I remember remedying it with the installation of DirectX. Try that! If it doesn't work, I don't know what else to tell you... it's beyond my comprehension.

Welcome to Hardware Central.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

First of all, dont panic A couple of things, forget about using expertool, it sucks, it kept crashing my system. Go to www.gainward.com and download Powerstrip, its much better.

Second, try downloading some other Nvidia drivers, i wouldnt worry too much about WHQL compatability, get the 23.11 drivers from www.nvidia.com or you can try previous drivers at http://www.reactorcritical.com/download.shtml#1000

Also, check your BIOS, i'm not sure in yours, but in mine there is a tab that says PCI/Plug and Play Setup. Set Plug and PLay Aware O/S to Yes......Primary Graphics Adapter to AGP.......and Allocate IRQ to PCI VGA to yes.
    Another thing, go to device manager and see if there are any conflicts among your componants.

------------------
    AMD Athlon 1600 XP
    ECS K7S5A
    512 MB Crucial DDR
    30 GB Western Digital HDD
    Aopen 56x CDROM
    Gainward Geforce 2 Ti@285/523
    Voyetra Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
    Windows XP Pro
    AMD Athlon 1600XP @1596 w/AX-7+Panaflo H1A
    Epox 8K3A
    512 MB Crucial PC2100 Fast settings