My computer hates my Voodoo 3. Somebody help!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: My computer hates my Voodoo 3. Somebody help!

Hybrid View

My computer hates my Voodoo 3. Somebody help!

All right, here's the looong lowdown. I installed a 3dfx Voodoo 3 3000 on my etower 400i. It was working fine after I disabled the onboard video card. But then I had to move the computer across the room. That was a mistake because now I just get a blank screen as the computer enters Windows 98.
    The only thing I can think of that I did wrong was I plugged the monitor into the onboard video after I moved it. There was no video so I turned off the computer and plugged into the Voodoo 3 card. It hasn't worked since.
    I tried the card in another computer and it was fine. I tried an old S3ViRGE in my etower and it worked fine. That means neither the card nor the computer is defective. So this must mean that the settings are wrong. Only this doesn't make sense since I haven't touched any settings.
    The Voodoo 3 manual tells me that certain CMOS features cannot be enabled for the card to work. I cannot change these features in my BIOS because they're not even listed. I have tried downloading some BIOS editors but they were not compatible. I can't understand why the BIOS would be the problem because the Voodoo worked before I moved it across the room.
    I really don't want to mess with my BIOS but I also really don't want to take this to the shop and pay 40 bucks for a stupid problem like this. Is there anyone out there who knows what's going on here?

-thewiseguise
    -thewiseguise

Can you see the POST with the voodoo??

POST (power on self test)

------------------
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Yes.
    -thewiseguise

I thought it might be a power issue as well, as if the card was not getting enough power. So I used extension cords to plug the computer into the outlets I used before I moved it. It didn't work, but I don't know if using the extension cords would decrease the power to the computer. ? Maybe I'll just move the computer back to check. It's better than taking it downtown.
    Note: I said all I see is a blank screen but the monitor actually goes into standby, if it helps any.
    -thewiseguise

All right, I'm convinced that God hates me. Does anyone know how to fix this? (not the God hating me part, but the computer part) It would really be appreciated.
    -thewiseguise

Justintime Guest
    can you get into windows in safe mode?

------------------
    Jr
    Bink's HWC gallery http://hwcmembersgallery.cjb.net/

If i understand you,when monitor is pluged into voodoo card,you can see it post,but at some point in loading win 98 your screen goes blank.Also if i understand you,if you plug monitor into onboard video...you dont even see post(this is good,shows onboard is disabled)Now what i need to know is does your monitor go to sleep in the black screen?(as if it loses signal from voodoo card)if not how long are you waiting while at black screen.If you can ,get into safe mode and check video adaptors in devise manager
    post back...

The only way I can get into Win98 in safe mode is if I re-enable onboard video and I don't think that will help me much. I'm thinking maybe if I remove all display drivers from my computer that I may be able to make this work but its a long shot.

GunHo - you understand perfectly and yes, it goes into sleep mode (the power light dims). I don't wait for a very long time but I know that I am all the way into Win98.
    -thewiseguise

It does sound like a corrupted driver issue,although i cant see how just moving the pc would do that.Here's what i would do.Remove voodoo card and Clear cmos to reset bios(your onboard will now be enabled)With your monitor pluged into onboard video..reboot and remove voodoo drivers and utilities..shut down,Install voodoo card,reboot again reinstall utilities(105 ver is best in my opinion).Shut down system,switch monitor to voodoo card and as you boot up ,go into bios and disable onboard vid again"save settings"and you should be back to where you want to be.

Thanks a million Gunho. I got it to work. I didn't do exactly what you said but it helped nonetheless. The BIOS was set to check the PCI slot before checking the onboard display for the monitor. This seems like the logical option, but I told it to check the onboard first and now the Voodoo 3 seems to be working in Windows. I don't get it but I don't care.
    Anyway, I know you don't care, but I think the problem may have originated with some 3rd party drivers. After I moved the computer I think that it was the first time I restarted since installing the drivers but I hadn't thought of that until know. It was a three day grueling process but at least I got my Voodoo back. Thanks.

------------------
    -thewiseguise
    -thewiseguise

Thread Information