What's the best 17" TFT/LCD monitor for games?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's the best 17" TFT/LCD monitor for games?

What's the best 17" TFT/LCD monitor for games?

I'm looking for a good 17" TFT/LCD monitor for playing games and watching DVD's. I've read many reviews but I can't seem to find the best overall performer.

Any suggestions?

Well I like my SamSung SyncMaster 570V alot!
    Its a 15" viewable but they do have a 17" also. Very bright colors and game play is fine @ the lower refresh rate.

I like it enuff that I plan to upgrade the 19" Samsung NF I just bought one year ago to the 17" LCD.

The Sony's are real nice too but the cost is quit a bit more.

Just goto a couple big retail stores like Best Buy and compare for yourself. Maybe take a look at Epinions before you buy.

------------------
    Tryin is the First Step Towards Failure.
    ~ Homer Jay Simpson

[This message has been edited by Treg29 (edited 12-29-2001).]
    ~ Homer Jay Simpson

GamePC reckon the Solarism 15" panel is a top gaming performer in this review, dunno if they do a 17"+ version though.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

Geez, I havn't worked at Best Buy for awhile now... (Used to work in the computer dept... Talk about educating computer illiterate people...LOL) I remember the Samsung 17inch LCD being a pretty darn good one for a good price.

------------------
    Athlon XP 1600+ @ 1800+
    Alpha PAL6035 w/ 40cfm YS Tech
    Antec 1030B
    Shuttle AK31 v3.1
    256MB OCZ DDR300 CL2
    VisionTek GF 256 SDR
    40GB WD 7200RPM ATA100
    8.4GB Maxtor 5400RPM ATA33
    SB Live
    Athlon 64 3000+ Winchester @ 3800+ (2.4Ghz/1.45V) Soltek SL-K8TPro-939 / Arctic Cooling Freezer 64 Pro Mushkin Black L2 V2 TCCD 512MBx2 @ 440Mhz (2-3-3-6)
    ATI X850 Pro (572/1226) / Zalman VF700-Cu
    40GB WD 7200rpm 2mb / 300GB Seagate 7200rpm 8mb Creative Audigy 2 ZS / Logitech Z-5500 Westinghouse LVM-37W1 37" 1080p LCD

Research show that 71% of women would like men who have better MEMORY, the other 29% say they prefere men with more RAM.

Um........... Sorry to say NONE!!!

LCD/Flat Panel have bad refresh rates and lowsy dot pitch ,they are TOO-SLOW to play games ,sure you can play them ,but they will look choppy ect...

I recomend a Sony FLAT-SCREEN ,monitor ,preferably a 21" at a true .24 dot pitch and a resolution of 2048x1536.

You hook that bad boy up and you have a gaming monitor you wont believe!!!And for around the same price as a 17 flat ,if you shop around.

Here is a nice one for $500 ,q little less res 19x14 but Trintron flat and .24... <A HREF="http://specs.emscomputing.com/cgi-bin/specs/specs.asp?pid="803107"&sid="3c33f89a04e6394e2741d8b0e20c06b3"&price="$494.00"" TARGET=_blank>http://specs.emscomputing.com/cgi-bin/specs/specs.asp?pid="803107"&sid="3c33f89a04e6394e2741d8b0e20c06b3"&price="$494.00"</A>

here is abd boy 2048-1536 trintron.on pricewatch $635 <A HREF="http://specs.emscomputing.com/cgi-bin/specs/specs.asp?pid="803106"&sid="3c33f89a04e6394e2741d8b0e20c06b3"&price="$699.00"" TARGET=_blank>http://specs.emscomputing.com/cgi-bin/specs/specs.asp?pid="803106"&sid="3c33f89a04e6394e2741d8b0e20c06b3"&price="$699.00"</A>

but I know................I dont have room on my desk for a 21" monitor.....too bad

------------------
    THE SECRET IS IN THE SAUCE

or HOW DINKY GETS HIS REVENGE

http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/artgekk...s/tacobell.gif

Originally posted by DEAN:
    Um........... Sorry to say NONE!!!

LCD/Flat Panel have bad refresh rates and lowsy dot pitch ,they are TOO-SLOW to play games ,sure you can play them ,but they will look choppy ect...

Thats not right man!
    Your wrong!

Maybe when you played one it had a slow video card, or it was an old LCD.

Im on an LCD Right Now and can play ANY Game I want and it looks good as hell! NO choppy screens @ 1024x768 32 bit color.
    Yes the refresh rate is lower and yes pitch isnt as well as a CRT but they Do Not look bad in games! Definatly not "choppy".

------------------
    ~ Homer Jay Simpson
    ~ Homer Jay Simpson

Any monitor with a fast pixel response rate ie &lt;30 millisecond combined pixel rise and fall. Many manufacturers don't publish this information on their spec sheets (probably because the pixel response times are so poor on their models. Go for a manufacturer that actually publishes this info.

Which means, the Solaris or the Silicon Graphics / SGI LCD monitiors. There are reviews on neoseeker.com

Whatever you get, you must get a recent / new design. Don't go for these 'bargain basement' end of line models.

I've got a Samsung 570V which is great for general work, but not great for games (CRTs are better at gaming / DVD / video performance that LCDs)

LCD prices are going to be on the rise again soon - see http://www.theinquirer.net/03010202.htm

Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

Originally posted by Treg29:
    Thats not right man!
    Your wrong!

Maybe when you played one it had a slow video card, or it was an old LCD.

Im on an LCD Right Now and can play ANY Game I want and it looks good as hell! NO choppy screens @ 1024x768 32 bit color.
    Yes the refresh rate is lower and yes pitch isnt as well as a CRT but they Do Not look bad in games! Definatly not "choppy".

You go man!!! I guess I would do the same and try and defend my monitor decision aswell.

But i like to play games ,Im a serious gamer ,aint NO flat panel gonna fit that bill.

I own a computer shop ,and sell Flat-Panels and CRT Flat-Screens .What YOU need to do is go look at a Trintron Flatscreen and play a decent game ,like RTCW or Operation Flashpoint ,or Quake3 or something,then go look at your Flat -Panel(if you still can).

Obviously davidstone28 knows whats up ,and atleast admits his Samsung 570v is not great for games.

You just like it because its bright and when you put your finger on it it does funny things to the screen ,beyound that ,any Gamer will say ,your smoking lotsa crack if you think a Flat panel is decent for games.
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by DEAN (edited 01-03-2002).]

LOL.........its not AMD vs Intel ,it not 3DFX vs Nvidia ,its Flat Panel vs Flat Screen!!!

Let the debates begin!

------------------

They are two very different technologies, and I'm unconvinced that the technology is such that we can compare CRT v LCD in like for like applications.

LCD screens are not really suited to any applications which involve fast motion graphics eg. 1st person shooters, video, and DVD. This sort of stuff plays okay on modern LCD screens, but the quality is never going to be a good as a good quality CRT. The main problem is that there is always a degree of motion blurring (a slight loss of focus, or an occurrence of blurring) during high speed motion.

The main reason that I bought a LCD (2 in fact - a Samsung 570v for home and a CTX 505 or work) was because I needed desk space, they're so cheap at the moment and because I'm don't play so many games these days. Well certainly not at work! In my opinion, there hasn't been a truly outstanding 3D shooter since HL and UT (no flame mails please!)

Also the company that I work for wouldn't pay for a LCD (only a bulky CRT which took up half the desk), so I went and bought myself a 3 inch deep LCD which I mounted directly on the wall with a VESA bracket - this stopped me having to turn my head around 45 degrees everytime I wanted to do some PC work. I'm not sure if they appreciated me drilling some screws into their wall but it probably saved my employers a personal injury / repetitive strain injury lawsuit.

LCD is great for text work though - there's less eyestrain. I can stare at the screen all day and the back of my eyes don't feel tired. This is probably because the technology is different - looking at a CRT is comparable to staring at a torch. Also if you have WinXP and you enable ClearType (a font smoothing technology), text on an LCD looks so much better. (Here's a hint - you can't adjust the contrast of ClearType from WinXP directly - you have to adjust it directly from the ClearType section of the Microsoft website.) There's a good example of this technology at the Microsoft website.

Also for some strange reason, when running WinXP, if you don't adjust refresh rate to 75Hz, some of the text can looking slightly out of focus (this doesn't seen to happen under 98SE). Not sure why this is - I always thought that LCDs ran as default refresh rates of 60hz and upping refresh rates wasn't supposed to make a difference). Also you can't compare refresh rates for LCD / CRTs like for like because the technoligies are different. Neither can you compare dot pitch.

Another reason why I bought an LCD was because my system spec (Duron950, GF2MX) was not such that I could crank up the resolution to say 1280x1024 32bit and get acceptable frame rates.

If you have a high spec system (say GF2U, or GF3, Rad75/85) and you want absolute performance (and you're not bothered about desk space), CRT is always going to be better solution.

In the future, LCD panels might well be able to produce combined rise and fall pixel response rates of 20ms of less. Until this happens CRTs are always going to be the better solution for people who want absolute performance.

I'd be interested to know from any engineers out there whether or not refresh rates of &lt;20ms (combined rise and fall) are technologically possible. In other words, is it possible to force a current behind an pixel to degrade faster?

[This message has been edited by davidstone28 (edited 01-04-2002).]
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

You just like it because its bright and when you put your finger on it it does funny things to the screen.
    Remind me not to buy anything from your shop, if all you do is spend your days poking the LCDs on sale

What YOU need to do is go look at a Trintron Flatscreen.

You just like it because its bright and when you put your finger on it it does funny things to the screen ,beyound that ,any Gamer will say ,your smoking lotsa crack if you think a Flat panel is decent for games.[/B]
    I Also own a Samsung 19" NF...
    Its actually 15 feet from me right now. I never said that my LCD looks Better then the CRT just that it is not choppy and I do enjoy playing games on it. I do also like the very bright screen, But I dont care much for smoking crack. The taste is just terrible. Instead I'll have my coke finely chopped for snorting. Its a little ruff on the nose that way but much better on the lungs.

Congrates on "owning a store" I bet you do a fine business with your wonderful attitude.

I like my LCD, no I love it. I bought it for traveling. I can and do play plenty of games with out any problems. Plus I would much rather carry this LCD into a lan party then my 19" NF.

------------------
    ~ Homer Jay Simpson
    ~ Homer Jay Simpson

I actually prfer LCD over CRT as well.

I have the KDS RAD5 LCD and the ViewSonic E790B CRT side by side and I will tell you that the CRT is the one I would rather have

RAD5 15 1024 x 768 32BIT 75Hz
    E790B 19 1280 x 1024 32BIT 85 Hz

After 2 hours of gaming on the RAD5 I had a headache

Anitdaisu Guest
    Any Trinitron Flat Display based monitor would do the trick. Good for fast motion graphics and stuff. go for brands sony, samsung, viewsonic, iyama, NEC, or CTX

Thread Information