monitor shutdown
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: monitor shutdown

monitor shutdown

Hello all!

I have a monitor (Gateway 17" EV700) that continues to shutdown on its own, then it comes back on after a few minutes. It doesn't matter what program I am in. It does't discriminate. The CPU does not shut down at all. I checked everything from the video card to the cord to make sure they were not loose. The indicator light on the monitor goes completely black as if the power is cut off then turned on again. I have replaced the power cord and the problem continues. One possible problem is that the cord that runs from the monitor to the cpu is missing a pin. Could this be the problem? Can this cord or pin be replaced even though it doesn't detach from the monitor? Help me, I am dying here!
    Thanks
    Brit

The missing pin is normal... and the monitor connects to the video card, not the CPU. I can tell you're computer illiterate.

Check your power management features in the Display control panel, under the Screen Saver tab, and Settings button. Make sure the monitor is not set to turn off by itself.

------------------
    Icebox 3000
    AOpen HQ45 w/300watts
    Soltek 75KAV-X w/snd
    AMD T-bird 1GHz(133x7.5)
    128MB PC100 @ 133
    GF2 mx400 64MB AGP TVOUT
    2.1GB hdd
    Delta 12x/40x DVD
    56x CDROM
    Windows 98
    Turbo Gamer 21" Black Aluminum Case w/ 350watt Enermax Power Supply.
    AMD Athlon XP 2500+ 1.83GHz @ 2.09GHz 1.65v (167*12.5)
    ATi Radeon 8500LE 128MB DDR
    Gigabyte GA-7VAXP KT400 w/sound+LAN+Firewire+RAID
    2 x Samsung DDR SDRAM 256MB PC2700
    Seagate Barracuda IV 80GB 7200rpm ATA-100
    LiteOn Black CDWriter 42x24x42
    LiteOn Black DVD-rom 16x
    Panasonic Black 1.44MB 3.5"
    Windows XP Professional
    Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Black Speakers
    80mm LED Case Fans x 5

The power management feature was my first quess as well. That's not it. I just tested another monitor and it shut down as well. I'm going to replace the video card and see what happens. As for being computer illiterate, I'v been programming for the last 6 years and haven't spent much time playing with the hardware. I built this system myself. I quess I had better watch my choice of words.
    Thanks
    Brit

Originally posted by sbcanada:
    The missing pin is normal... and the monitor connects to the video card, not the CPU. I can tell you're computer illiterate.

Check your power management features in the Display control panel, under the Screen Saver tab, and Settings button. Make sure the monitor is not set to turn off by itself.

Thread Information