SiS 6326 problem
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: SiS 6326 problem

Hybrid View

SiS 6326 problem

I am setting up a PC with a SiS 6326 video card (AGP, 8MB) and am having a lot of problems! I got a Windows Protection error after installing the correct drivers, so I disabled it in safe mode, re-booted and it had about 5 conflicts! All the conflicts were with parts of the motherboard (e.g. AGP Bus etc). I definately have the right drivers.
    I have an identical machine set up for Windows 98 and there are no conflicts at all. I really want Win95 on these machines though as they have been very unstable with Win98.
    I also tried setting the resources manually, it said there were no conflicts, rebooted and again Windows protection error, disabled it in safe mode again, rebooted and it said there were conflicts this time affecting one of the drivers for the motherboard.
    Anyone got any ideas? Has anyone there managed to get a SiS 6326 to work on a Via motherboard?

Sorry to say i cant really help, i used to have an SIS6326, an older version tho i think, it really isnt a very good card at all, if at all possible, bin it and get a newer video card (ebay if u want one second hand and cheap).

------------------
    P3 700E@945-AlphaPep66
    Abit BX133RAID
    384mb Crucial PC133 cas2
    15" SmileKFC
    GeForceII GTS 64mb
    IBM 9.1gb 7200rpm 2mb
    Pioneer 105s DVD
    Plextor W1210A CDWRITER
    SBLive Value
    WIN TV

Problem is, we have 7 of these machines! I'd rather not have to buy 7 new cards, but one thing is certain: I wont buy any more!

I had one of those A LONG time ago. Here's the situation. There are a ton of different makes of the SIS 6326 video chip. Some onboard, some PCI, some AGP. Try different drivers. Leave all the IRQ and resource settings at default (trying to force certain setings are just going to make other components spaz out... as you've seen) Check the Windows update site first for Win95 patches too. try different video drivers until you find a set that work. If I remember correctly, there's about six different versions. However, don't ask me to remember where their at. I don't keep bookmarks that long

------------------
    Athlon T-bird 1.2gig (266bus)
    Abit kt7a VIA KT133a motherboard
    256mb PC-133 Atlas Precision Memory
    Voodoo 5 5500 AGP 166@177 bios 1.15
    Sound Blaster PCI512 (4-channeled)
    30gig IBM 7200rpm ATA-100 HDD
    15gig IBM 7200rpm ATA-100 HDD
    Pioneer 16X DVD-rom Drive
    Windows 98 SE
    DirectX 8.1 beta
    ---------------------
    Networking pee-on
    MCSA,MCSE,CCNA

Thanks for the advice. So far, I have tried 2 drivers - one was from the driver CD that came with the machines (this caused the Windows Protection error), and now I've tried the only driver on the SiS website - and this just comes up with conflicts
    The conflicts are just memory addresses and I/O ranges :-

Memory Range 00000000 - 007FFFFF used by:
    Motherboard resources
    Memory Range 00000000 - 007FFFFF used by:
    Intel(R) PRO/100+ PCI Adapter
    Input/Output Range 0000 - 007F used by:
    Programmable interrupt controller
    Input/Output Range 0000 - 007F used by:
    System speaker

Also, the Systems board extension for PnP BIOS says (in the General tab) that it's causing a conflict (Code 15) but in the resources tab it says "No conflicts".

Ahhh... the not-so glorious days of the SiS6326...

------------------
    In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    "In the end, the one with the biggest gun wins."
    - General Custard

Thread Information