onboard graphics and HP PC's
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: onboard graphics and HP PC's

onboard graphics and HP PC's

Hey everybody....

Just a heads up on what has happened to me regarding an inability to boot after installing a V32k PCI.... I have a HP pavillion with 64 megs of ram and WinME...I was able to install V32k without a hitch by following 3DFx's instructions to the T. However, when I upgraded my ram to anything other than the original 64 that came with the system, then I began to have serious boot up issues. So drastic were these issues that HP replaced my MB, still on warranty...Upon receiving the pc back from repair, I again began to attempt to get this card to work with higher ram..same probs...I finally reverted back to the original 64 megs and I'll be a monkey's *** if the thing didn't boot up without a hitch..
    Sorry about the lengthy post, but I figured I might help others with this unintelligible discovery...
    Please post back your results after reconfiguring with the original ram..

later,

Check to see if there are specific requirements and/or limitations regarding memory for your system.
    Quick reference for memory specifications via the following link,
    Click HERE.

------------------
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I had checked this site prior to ordering 256 megs from them. In fact I have an identical 64 meg module I purchased from Crucial that is in another of my PC's...part number PC100, etc..only the serial number differed, obviously...I tried it as well...nothing worked except reverting back to the original ram amount..

If the old onboard had SHARED RAM,you may need to make adjustments in the BIOS after adding more RAM even if you've changed vid cards.Seen alot of posts were adding more RAm caused probs with onboard vid cards with shared RAM.The new vidcard is a new twist on the prob ,but worth a look at the bios settings.
    Win 7
    Asrock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3
    I5 2500k @4ghz
    8Gb DDR3 2133Mhz
    Crucial M4 128Gb SataIII SSd
    Sapphire Radeon 6870
    Samsung 931bf 19" LCD

That's a good point regarding the shared ram aspect...There are two ram sharing options in the bios, 1MB and 512K. No option to disable video in the bios. I have attempted both ram sharing options without success. HP's site has an updated BIOS for this motherboard that I downloaded and installed, thinking perhaps that may help, no dice.

Thread Information