Overclocking my GF2MX gives no performance increase!!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking my GF2MX gives no performance increase!!

Overclocking my GF2MX gives no performance increase!!

I just plugged in my "Hercules 3D Prophet 2MX", after having performed an succesfull voltage mod, sucesfull bacause I can now run it @245MHz core clock (max with my current tweak prog). So now you´re thinking, "great for him", well it would be if I had gained a single point in 3dMark 2000, I can however not se any significant diference at all.
    WHY???
    Memory is still stuck @195MHz (higher and I get white dots)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

------------------
    -Lowther-
    -Lowther-

Raising the core does very little in practice. Increasing the memory timing is where the big performance increase is.

Memory bandwith is the bottle neck of all GF2 cards really even Pro and Ultra. So as you can imagine the MX suffers this bottle neck even more with it's slower memory. Unless you can get the memory higher clocking the core won't do much but mak it hotter.......... Sorry .

------------------
    Stealth Cooling Project

Oh well!

It was an interesting mod to do anyway, to bad it didn´t yield any performance increase though. =(
    Will get another tweak program to see how high it will actually go (suggestions?). Will let you all know how it goes, perhaps I could at least have the highest clocked GF2MX core, even if it´s not the fastest. =)

------------------
    -Lowther-
    -Lowther-

Well it seems that 265MHz is the highest it will go without showing signs of texture tearing, at least with this cooling (40mm fan on stock heatsink)

------------------
    -Lowther-
    -Lowther-

voltage mod how did ya do that..?

Well the voltage mod was made by adding a resistor in parallell with one already on the card, which makes the voltage regulator deliver a higher voltage. Actually I added two resistors and a switch so I would be able to choose between stock voltage and 2 different higher settings (2.2V and 2.5V), default was 1.95 on my card.

This link http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/geforc...rclocking.html is great for details, if you have any more questions feel free to ask, always nice to be able to give something back.....

------------------
    -Lowther-
    -Lowther-

Thread Information