Importing video to computer
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Importing video to computer

Importing video to computer

Hi was wondering about importing video from a video camera can it be done through usb or do u have to have a video caputre card.Also how can i hook up my vcr to my computer.I have a gforce 2mx with tv out.
    Thanks
    Jedisk8

------------------
    aka: Trax
    aka: Trax

You may want to try a 3rd party such as Dazzle or another company similar to them. I have an old parallel port version that I bought years ago and it worked pretty well. They now have usb and firewire versions of their products. There are better products out there but for the money, it really isn't bad.
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Geforce 680 SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz (3.2 GHz), 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs., Windows 8.1 Pro

Jedisk8
    The question is bigger than Ben Hur but to simplify. If you have an analogue camcorder you are limited to some sort of capture card. You will probably want to compress the data and you may want to chose MPEG1 for lower quality images or MPEG2 for better quality (I'll leave MPEG4 out for now). In your cature card selection you can opt to buy a basic TV card which does nothing other than provide holes to plug your camcorder into. The rest is done but software.
    The next step is hardware compression and some cards provide MPEG1 encoding but at a slightly higher price. At the top end is hardware MPEG2 encoding but expect to pay bigger bucks for it. In fact pro versions can set you back a few thousand.
    At the top of the tree in terms of quality imaging is iLink (Firewire) but that's reserved for digital camcorders. Fortunately for us the cost of these has dropped heaps in the last year. However what is emerging are combo cards which are iLink with hardware MPEG2 encoding and composite audio and video connections (analogue devices, VCRs and camcorders).
    Finaly MPEG4 or DiVX is becoming the prefered option for PC buffs and at this time there are no hardware cards. It provides near DVD quality at a fraction of the space (an hour of video will fit on a CDR). The down side is it's only playable on a PC and not a standalone DVD player.

Hope that helps
    Cheers...
    I'd rather be GLIDING

Thread Information