19" monitors recommendations
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: 19" monitors recommendations

19" monitors recommendations

I'm not there with funding yet but I want a 19" flat-screen (not the expensive fully flat panel job) @ at least 0.24 dot pitch

I only find .27 models which is a waste of time because its not greater definition than my current 17"

Am I going to find one?
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Have you looked at the Sony Trinitons yet?

I have two (17" and a 19") and they're great.

------------------
    "What are you, my therapist!?! TAKE A WALK!!!

Interested in more great conversation? Visit JJR512's Board

We'd love to have you on our Genome@Home Team.
    Athlon 64 2800+
    1xWD 1200BB, 1xMaxtor 200GB SATA
    Asus K8N-E
    2x512MB Corsair XMS3200
    Klipsch Pro Media 2.1
    Radeon 9800 Pro, Dell 1801FP - WinTV Theater
    Sony CRX320E Combo Drive, Pioneer A04
    Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro - Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical
    Win XP Pro SP2

Well, the Iiyama VM Pro 451 is 0.25 aperture grill spacing, but just make sure you are aware of the differnces in these measurements when you're comparing shadow mask to aperture grill tubes!

It's a stunning monitor in my admittedly biased opinion, but I wasn't always biased and chose this one for very good reasons; extreme resolutions, extreme refresh rates, compact and attractive (you ARE going to be looking at the thing a lot after all ). It's based on the Mitsubishi Diamondtron NF tube, very similar to the Sony Trinitron aperture grill tubes. If you have loadsamoney then look at the even more extreme VM Pro 453, it can do 1600x1200 at 104Hz refresh compared to the 451's 95Hz. Also, if you aperture grill retention wires send you into fits (as they seem to do to many here) then I'd recommend the Philips Brilliance 109P20, it has a slotted mask I believe (like the LG Flatrons) to avoid using the horizontal damper wires.

Have fun shopping!
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

ViewSonic P95F

If you seek perfection in a 19" (18.0" viewable) display; look no further. The new ViewSonic P95f offers our PerfectFlat screen technology and a video input band-width of 300Mhz, which enables the P95f to always deliver sharp, edge-to-edge images even up to its maximum resolution of 1920 x 1440. Its low light transmis-sion rate, coupled with the aperture grille mask and ARAGŪ screen treatment, provides high contrast for astonishing color purity and brightness. Additionally, its base design allows for simple integration of an optional ViewSonic USB hub. Loaded with advanced features, the P95f is the ideal choice for imaging and graphic professionals.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks for the info

I use my PC for TV/DVD/Video's etc so I'd like a bigger monitor. Also I'll be using the 17" as a secondary monitor which will be fun!

"Well, the Iiyama VM Pro 451 is 0.25 aperture grill spacing, but just make sure you are aware of the differnces in these measurements when you're comparing shadow mask to aperture grill tubes!"

Tell me more please BennyBoy. (about the masks)

AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Samsung 900NF, Samsung 900IFT.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

I you are looking for low budget options I recommend the Q95 which is made by ViewSonic and sold under the Optiquest label. I have one and it is decent and rather inexpensive.

------------------
    Friends don't let friends buy P4s.

RIght, rather than draw the pics and explain it myself I'll attempt to find someone who's already done it. These explanaitons aren't the clearest, but they will help.

Here is an explanation of how the dot pitch is measured on a standard shadow mask CRT. http://routbort.neuro.duke.edu/repai...faq.htm#crtedp

And here is why Trinitron monitors have horizontal lines on them. http://routbort.neuro.duke.edu/repai...faq.htm#crtfin
    http://www.heartlab.rri.on.ca/vidfaq/part2.html

Basically though, you cannot directly compare the dot pitch to the aperture grill spacing. If the two values are the same then the shadow mask (with the dots) will have a finer horizontal resolution (by 14%, just multiply by [(root3)/2]). However the vertical resolution of the aperture grill is near infinite and only limited by the capabilities of the monitors control electronics.

People usually say, and I agree, that traditional shadow mask monitors are more pleasant for text work because they don't have the rigid H/V pixellation of the aperture grill. For images though the aperture grill's increased brightness and extra definition (especially vertically) gives superior images when viewing any pics or gaming. The disadvantage is that you may find the horizontal damper wires annoyingly noticable applications with solid bright white backgrounds. Try and go to a store to have a look at some and see what you think.

Hope this helps and hasn't confused your decisions further!

Bennyboy.
    If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

Excellent info BennyBoy (I'm an electrical student so its a great read)

Again thanks for other replies
    AMD Mobile 2500+
    A7N8X Deluxe rev2.0
    1GB Corsair XMS PC2700
    GeCube Radeon 9800 Pro
    Seagate SATA 80GB
    2xSegate 160GB in RAID0

Thread Information