Refresh rate??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Refresh rate??

Refresh rate??

What is refresh rate on my 3d card? Its set at 60Hrz but can go to 120. What does this do?

------------------
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Y~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~Y~~~~~~~~~~~

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    The refresh rate is how many times per second the image on the monitor is 'redrawn'. A low refresh rate (i.e., your 60Hz current setting) will produce a flickering effect, especiall with white or bright background colors. Try looking off to the side of your monitor and notice the picture through your periferal vision. Move your head a little from side to side. Notice any flickering? That can cause headaches or eye strain.

You really need to set the refresh rate to 75Hz or higher, depending on your monitor. Even 70Hz would ease the strain considerably. I recommend 85Hz if your monitor can support it. What kind of monitor are you using? And what resulution are you running? And what 3D graphics card do you have?

On your desktop, right click, go to properties, and check the display settings. Under the advanced settings tab you should be able to change the refresh rate, or at least see if your current monitor information allows a higher setting.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett

--------------

Dual Palomino @ 1.9 GHz
    3 X15 Cheetah's in Raid
    2GB DDR SDRAM CAS 2 @ 400 MHz
    Radeon II
    smokin' crack...
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

good reply Outisde...I agree least push it to 75hz...less flickering of screen.

------------------
    This Space Available For RENT. Email Perce for more Info.
    486 CPU/32MB Memory/Windows 3.11(it rocks!) Sigh.........the good ol Days........

Do I have superhuman eyes or something? When I set my monitor to 1280x1024 @ 85hz it hurts my eyes. It looks like text is vibrating and stuff. When I put it on 1152x864 @ 100hz it looks fine. If I put it on 60hz or 75hz I can't stand it for more than a minute or two because it makes my eyes hurt. Am I just weird or something?

------------------
    8K7A
    TB 1.33@1.4+SK6(Delta7k)
    256M Corsair PC2400
    Leadtek GeForce3
    SBLive! PCI 5.1
    Sony 16x/50x DVD
    Sony 12x/8x/40x CDRW
    Lian-Li PC60+340w P.S.
    Altec Lansing ACS48
    CTX PL9 19" monitor

[This message has been edited by DJ_Keoki (edited 08-30-2001).]
    If pro is the opposite of con, what's the opposite of progress?

I hear ya Keoki, for me anything less than 100Hz drives me nuts pretty quick. it's been really pissing me off too cuz since i switched to win2k a lot of my games won't refresh that high
    still trying to figure that one out.

S.B.

------------------
    eating crack =
    <system configuration>
    Athlon 750@x where 750<x
    Abit Ka7
    640MB PC133
    Elsa Gladiac GF2 GTS
    3Com
    CL SBLive!
    Maxtor 40GB
    Yamaha 20x10 RW
    Toshiba 12x DVD

[This message has been edited by tommyj27 (edited 08-30-2001).]
    There is little truth in men but much cunning. - Peter the Great

Flicker is still noticable at 85Hz but I don't mind it. For gaming I find lower refreshes acceptable, I don't know if it's just that you're immersed in the game or that you haven't got expanses of unitform colour like in the desktop but I just don't notice refresh rates in games as much.

zzoogy, if you want to manually increase the refresh rate, download a utility like Powerstrip 3 to make sure windows isn't robbing you of your monitor's true capabilities. (Please Mr. Gates, life does exist above 85Hz and not only in 5Hz increments!). If you have a Matrox card you will be able to adjust the refresh rate manually through the Powerdesk drivers .

If you've got your money for nothing, who cares if the chicks are free!

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Yes, I find that I can hardly work on a monitor below 70Hz, 75Hz and 80Hz are uncomfortable, and 85Hz I can still see the flickering through peripheral vision, but it doesn't bother me that bad. Anything 90Hz or above I like, and after 100Hz I can't see any difference at all.

------------------
    Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett

--------------

Dual Palomino @ 1.9 GHz
    3 X15 Cheetah's in Raid
    2GB DDR SDRAM CAS 2 @ 400 MHz
    Radeon II
    smokin' crack...
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Thread Information