HUH???? i'm stuck, any help?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: HUH???? i'm stuck, any help?

HUH???? i'm stuck, any help?

ok last night everything was working fine. now when i woke up the computer was on but the color and res sucked. so i went to change it back and the max res wasnt available and it could only goto 16-bit color. so i checked to see if there were any conflicts and there weren't. so i deleted my vid card and moitor drivers restarted loaded up new vid card drivers, new monitor drivers, went into windows me and it still looks like crap. so i then tried to run hl but it says something like this game is not supported by your video card, and then pressed ok and it said that i needed directx 6 or higher, and the last time i checked i had 8. ok i justr went into display, and then advanced and it only has general and color management tabs when there were a bunch before. i have absolutly no idea what happened and how to fix it, i am going to try and download the last drivers 3dfx released and install them, i'll also get directx and see if it does anything.
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

oooppps almost forgot to include system specs.
    p3 600
    128mb pc133
    20gb hdd
    voodoo3 2000 pci
    sb live x-gamer
    winblows me
    duron 800@900 - asus a7v - 640mb pc133 - radeon 8500le 128mb - sb live - 16x dvd-rom - 48x24x48 burner

oooppps almost forgot to include system specs.
    p3 600
    128mb pc133
    20gb hdd
    voodoo3 2000 pci
    sb live x-gamer
    winblows me

oh yaa also on start up nothing loads accept clock, last night it loaded, 3dfx tools, systray, virus scan, etc.

Turn off your virus checker it can mess with the driver install. Load up a standard VGA driver, reboot. Delete any traces of the 3dfx driver in the registry, reboot. Load the 3dfx driver and see if that does the trick.

I have had a similar problem and it was because of not changing to a standard vga driver as part of the process.

Any change to the drivers should always be followed with re-installing DirectX.

The only other thing I can think of is the obvious one - did you add/ change anything in the session you were on prior to this problem, is it possible to do a roll back system restore ?

------------------
    System Specs:
    Asus A7M266
    512 PC2100 DDR
    Athlon 800
    SB Live
    DVD & CD Rom
    Radeon 64mb DDR Vivo
    IBM 46 GB
    19" monitor

---------
    A wee Rally !
    System Specs:
    Asus A7M266
    512 PC2700 DDR
    Athlon 1800+ XP
    SB Live
    DVD/CD-RW combo
    Radeon 64mb DDR Vivo
    IBM 46 GB
    19" monitor
    Home LAN

---------
    A wee Rally !

ok this is what happened i woke up, noticed the comp was on and in 16 color in 800x600. asked my sis if she did anything to it she said no, asked my other sis she said it started up like that when she turned it on. as far as i know i was the last one on it last night and it was working fine, the only thing that i did was download a couple of music vids and stuff like that from morpheus. i also played some games on the internet, scrabble, etc. now when i click on hl it says that "the ddraw.dll file cannot start. check to determine the problem" also i looked around and i couldn't fine my dirextx folder which is wierd. the only thing i can think of is that it is a virus, ither that or my vid card crapped out some how. i remember a while ago when i had my voodoo3 on a diff system that practically the same thing happened ( comp loaded up in 640x480 16 colors and no hard ware accelerated progs worked, but everything else worked fine, i mean all of my progs loaded up on start up.) , but we brought it to the stor to get fixed. i am just gonne go and download a new virus scaner (i have a free old one and the company went out of buisness or sothing like that, so the definition is going to be old) i'll go download the macfee virus scan trial and see if it works.

ok now i am almost sure it is a virus, i tried to play a mp3 to see if my sound still works and it gave mne a message that sad somthing like "MMSYSTEM002A device id has been used that is out of range for your system" it used to play fine before.

Check the devise manager and see if for some reason you have 2 sets of drivers installed. Delete both and reboot. Install the drivers and reboot. If that does not fix it, then go into the device manager and "update" the drivers.

Run scan disk and see how messed up your drive is. You might need to format your hard drive and start over with a fresh install of Windows. My K6-2 450 needed that about every 3-6 months. My Duron system seems to not care how long it runs Windows (the only time I re-installed Windows on it was when I baught a new hard drive about a year ago). It is not likely to be a virus. Most virusses now adays are recieved trough E-Mail as file attachments.

Also try the last set of Voodoo 4/5 drivers. I think it was something like 1.07.01 beta. They work just fine on the Voodoo3's and if you can find the overclock enabler, you can enable the overclocking utility built into their drivers. They also had the last set of bug fixxes that the Voodoo3 drivers never got.

Also you will likely need to install OpenGL (with something like GLSetup).

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

whell i am pretty sure it is a windows related problem. i'm just gonna bring it in and ge thte guy at the store to fix it. i figured out that it isnt video because the sound doesn't work ither

Thread Information