Matrox G450 or Geforce 256 SDR
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Matrox G450 or Geforce 256 SDR

Matrox G450 or Geforce 256 SDR

I currently have a Geforce256 32MB SDRAM and a Matrox 4MB Millenium for my secondary monitor. Should I trade the GeForce for a Matrox G450 Dual Head? or Keep the GeForce and get the Matrox G450 in the PCI version.

My primary uses for these cards are, web design and graphics, so I like lots of desktop space, but I do play games on occasion, which is why I have the geforce.

Also, will either of these pairs have difficulty running in Win2k...

AGP: Geforce256 PCI: Matrox G450
    or
    AGP: Matrox G450 PCI: Matrox Millenium
    If god hadn't intended for us to eat animals then why'd he make them out of meat?

Tricky question. All of those combos will work nicely in Win2k I think.

I personally would get the single G450 dual head. The GeForce SDR won't be streaks ahead I don't think, and the G450 on its own will be easier to manage- less driver, less chance of incompatibilities.

The G450 will be a dream if you're working in the desktop a lot, the 2D picture quality is by far the best out of anything.

------------------
    AMD Duron 800@1000 (133MHz FSB)
    Abit KT7a RAID
    DiamondMax Plus 60 - 40Gb
    Elsa GeForce2MX 32Mb SDR
    ------------------

[This message has been edited by CenturionStrategy (edited 08-09-2001).]
    Main PC: A64 3200+ | 1024MB Kingston RAM (Dual Channel) | WD 160GB | Seagate SATA 160GB w/NCQ | Asus A8N-SLi Deluxe | Connect3D ATi X800XL Pci-E | Coolermaster ATC-710 case | Antec NeoPower 480w PSU | Toshiba 27wl46 27" TFT

HwC member's gallery - Upload your picture here

Team HwC Folding@Home results - Find out how to sign up here!

Thanks Centurion.

Antoher question between the matrox and the GeForce... Since the matrox has far better 2D quality, does this mean that movie playback and DVD would be better? And does the G450 have better DVD support than the GeForce?
    If god hadn't intended for us to eat animals then why'd he make them out of meat?

Two other options I see are the Matrox G400 (which is better for games) and the new Matrox G550. Does anyone know if the 550 is any faster in games? and is it worth it to spend the extra dough on a G400? Can anyone give me a comparable video card in 3D preformance to a G400 & G450?

Thanks

Check out the review on the G550 at www.aceshardware.com

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

The G550 offers no performance benefits over the G450, or the G400 for that mattter. Since you've already got the GF256 I'd stick with that & add the G450, but make sure it's a Dual Head version as that is where the true benefit will come in. You 've got a fast card for games (the GF) & an AWESOME business setup (G450). DOn't even consider the G450 for today's latest games.

I have a G400 & I woulnd't swap it for anything, but I am the first to concede that it won't play Quake at anything above 1024x768x16.
    Oh & yes, the Matrox has FAR superior DVD playback - it also has a unique DVD function built into its DualHead. ACtaully a GF/GF2 with a PCI D/H Matrox would pretty much be THE perfect combination..

,.. only thing is.. I wasn't aware that MAtrox had released any PCI cards since the G200..

------------------
    The Darkside: OCN Hellspawn - having our way with your daughter's genes

Originally posted by a13antichrist:

,.. only thing is.. I wasn't aware that MAtrox had released any PCI cards since the G200..
    G450 PCI
    Saving my wonderinguy34 1000th post till I get my new comp running

Thank you guys,
    I think I'm gonna go with antichrist suggestion and keep the GeForce as my primary for games and use the Matrox Dual-Head PCI for my secondary. Even though I mainly use the computer for business... I do enjoy playing games sometimes and I like them to run smoothly.

I just hope the Matrox G450 will take backseat to the Geforce under Win2k, but I shouldn't have a problem, seeing as how every previous matrox card I've used as a second card (Millenium & Millenium II) worked fine.

BTW antichrist I actually have my GeForce modified as a Quadro, so it would be a Quadro with Dual Matrox G450 Secondary Displays! hehe 3D Studio Max, here I come!

A.B. cheers dude, wasn't aware of that..

unfrgivn I know that the G200 D/Hs had no problem running as secondaries to other Matrox cards so I very much doubt the G450 will have any problem running secondary to your GF. ThaT should be one AWESOME setup..

------------------
    The Darkside: OCN Hellspawn - having our way with your daughter's genes

Thread Information