good gaming LCD display
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: good gaming LCD display

good gaming LCD display

Hello all,
    it seems like the question of death, but for
    space saving purposes I need an LCD, but I don't want to give up my gaming habits, either. I'm interested in 17" or environs models, but finding specs for pixel response times is a hard thing to do (you have to call in sometimes). The Samsung synch. 170T and IBM T750 have great specs, and 35ms prs each. Looking into the Compaq 7010 now. If any of you own or have used 17" LCD's and/or could offer some useful advice, I'd really appreciate it. Oh yes, it must have a DVI connector for my video card.
    Thanks a bunch,
    Tropism

------------------
    .if man chooses to treat himself as raw material, raw material he will be.. - C.S. Lewis

[This message has been edited by tropism (edited 07-26-2001).]
    ..if man chooses to treat himself as raw material, raw material he will b... - C.S. Lewis

I'm going to do a long post on this subject shortly, but in essence, all TFTS are poor to crap for gaming due to pixel response response (even one with response times of 30ms).

I've been using a Samsung 570S (30ms) and a Sony M51 for the last 4 months (having ditched my Diamondpro 720) and you still get blurriness in the background during fast 3D games.

Its difficult to describe the effect unless you actually see the effect for yourself, but if you play Q3A for example, and you spin round on a single axis (ie stand still and press the key for rotate left or right) the backrgound will be out of focus.

Although this effect might be realistic (imagine spinning around 360 degrees in real life and try shooting something in the background or focusing on a background object) this effect will still lose you frags in a fast game of Q3A.

I cannot see this improving until TFTs have reponse times of less than 10ms (combined pixel rise and fall).

Although everyone raves about the Silicon Graphics TFTS (see www.sgi.com) which are apparently the best for gaming, I cannot see how this could be so because even the SGI monitors still have response times of 40 ms which is far too long to be comparable to the performance of a good CRT.

If you email me, I'll send you my half completed assessment of the TFTs which I've been using continuously for the last 4 months.

[This message has been edited by davidstone28 (edited 07-26-2001).]

[This message has been edited by davidstone28 (edited 07-26-2001).]
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

David is right. The LCD's that are out as of now pretty much suck for gaming. If there is any way possible (I know u said you only have limited space) I would recomend a monitor with the sony triton flat screan tube, they are nice.

------------------
    AMD Tbird (AXIA) 1Ghz @ 1425mhz w/ OCZ gladiator
    Iwill KK266 Raid
    384megs crucial cas2 @ 150mhz
    Leadtek 32meg Geforce2 GTS Pro (220/415)
    Dual 20gig IBM 60gxp Deskstars in RAID 0
    Nec 40x cdrom
    Sony 12x8x32 CD-RW
    17" KDS Avitron flat screan (1024x768 @ 85hz)
    2500+ Barton @ 2.2ghz (200x11)
    Abit NF7-S rev2.0
    Alpha 8045
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    2x 512mb Corsair XMS pc3200
    2x 120gb WD-SE HDDs
    Enermax 431w Whipser
    Lian Li pc61-usb

Don't get me wrong - the gaming performance isn't too bad - I use my Samsung TFT for Half Life and TFC and I've got used to it and think its not too bad for gaming despite the background "focus" issue (same with all TFTs.

Its just that I don't think its as good as a CRT. Besides I only play games on my PC for about 25% of the time, so its bearable for me.

Buy one these:-
    http://www.sharkyextreme.com/hardwar...itors/dti_lcd/
    Athlon XP 3200+, TT Silent Boost (its rubbish as well as loud) Gigabyte nForce2 mobo (stable but lacks tweaking options), GF4 Ti4200 128mb, Lian-Li V2000

thanks davidstone,
    (funny, my cousin's the same name)
    I checked out that link and, man that's way expensive! the 15" is smaller than I'm willing to accept, and that 18" is too expensive. Right now I'm at 19" 1152X864 85htz (the chicks diggit ). I'll see if they have 17" but man, I'm sure that technology costs a pretty penny, and it's seems to achieve poor resolution. I've spoken with some gamers about that samsung synchmaster 170T, it's got a 25ms srt, and apparently ghosting and other associated LCD probs aren't too much a prob at all. WaThanks to both of you for your input, I'm building up a kickass system so I do appreciate your advice. Wazup, whatsup? I really want to stay LCD, but I'll check on your suggestion. I hope others will reply, too. BTW, I just got the TB Santa Cruz sound card and I can't praise it enough! Check it out if it interests you. Gotta go, DBZ is on...
    tropism

------------------
    ..if man chooses to treat himself as raw material, raw material he will b... - C.S. Lewis

[This message has been edited by tropism (edited 07-26-2001).]

I have read some very recent reviews of new LCD monitors that have all said that they have no problems playing games. These new 17-inch monitors have 75Hz scan rates and resolutions of 1280x1024 for about the same cost as a 21-inch CRT. I have looked at Dell's 17-inch unit and it is absolutely amazing. If I didn't already have 21 and 19-inch units I would seriously consider one.

------------------
    Friends don't let friends buy P4s.

Tropism,

You really won't see ghosting or streaking on any TFT with respnse times of 40ms or less. Ghosting is more apparent on older TFTs. You should see the 10.4" black and white screen on my 8 year IBM think pad!

I can't really describe the effect as ghosting, or streaking. Its more like 'motion blur' - fast moving objects seem to lose focus even on screens with 25ms - 30ms.

I really would suggest you test a screen for yourself running a fast 3d game.

Originally posted by tropism:
    thanks davidstone,
    (funny, my cousin's the same name)
    I checked out that link and, man that's way expensive! the 15" is smaller than I'm willing to accept, and that 18" is too expensive.

Whoa?!? $8,000 for an 18" screen is expensive? What sort of a kickass system are you building

Thread Information