Voodoo 5500 or a Kyro 4500??
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Voodoo 5500 or a Kyro 4500??

Voodoo 5500 or a Kyro 4500??

I have an AMD K6/2 550, 320meg ram, crappy onboard video (which i hope to disable).

The voodoo 5500 seems like one sweet card, pity the support isn't around. Also the Kyro 2's are looking pretty swart.

any suggestions????

BTW i will get PCI just incase i end up getting to hooked together one day.

thanks

------------------
    Microsoft Works...ha..can you get a better oxymoron?

I like my v5500, had no real probs with it and the performance is ok for you system as long as you don't want to use AA a lot..... Sanj

------------------
    IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9b7.

http://heatware.elitehardware.com/vi...&option=soneji
    E6400 @ 4.1 Ghz // 4Gb DDR2 6400 // 8800GTS 512

what is AA???

------------------

Kyro2 no questions about it The Voodoo5500AGP is as fast as GeForce1 and Kyro2 is as fast as GeForce2 Pro and Ultras guarantied Kyro2 sometimes it even beats the Ultra but most of the time is as fast as the Ultra.

AA is Anti Alising sometimes refereed to as FSAA (Full Seen Anti Alising) and the FSAA is much faster and better on the Kyro2

How is it 'better'?

------------------
    IEXPLORE caused an invalid page fault in
    module KERNEL32.DLL at 017f:bff7b9b7.

http://heatware.elitehardware.com/vi...&option=soneji
    E6400 @ 4.1 Ghz // 4Gb DDR2 6400 // 8800GTS 512

The Kyro2 is much better then Voodoo5500 in enything If you don't believe that then read this:
    http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1435

Voodoo5500 Is just crap

Half the way between a PC screen and the scary real life...
    Hmmm, with your current combo, I dunno...

Few Super7 motherboards (like yours) can handle the power requirements of modern AGP graphic cards.
    The Voodoo5 has an external power supply (right?), and the Kyro2 seems VERY CPU dependant (I dunno if your K6-2 would be enough)
    There was a review GeForce 3 vs Kyro 2 that showed how both managed on different motherboards. I don't remember which website, sorry...

Also, you say something about PCI... I dunno if the Kyro2 is even planned to be in a PCI format.

If you plan to buy a PCI video card NOW and before changing your motherboard/CPU, grab a Voodoo3 2000 or 3000.
    They are available in both AGP and PCI flavours, really unexpensive, and will fit well with your K6-2.
    True, forthcoming 3D shooters require at least a V5, but your current computer doesn't have the horse power anyway...

Or change your computer.

BTW, the Kyro2 is great as a gaming card, but can't do much for professional OpenGL proies for example.
    Main rig: Athlon64 x2 4200+ | Asrock 939N68PV-GLAN | 4x512MB PC3200 | 120GB Seagate | Samsung DVDRW SH-S203D | VX550W PSU | WinXP Home SP3 / Ubuntu 7.10
    Headache generator: K6-2 500 | FIC VA503+ | 2x64MB PC133 | Voodoo 3 2000 PCI | SB32 ISA PnP | 15,2MB IBM | Xubuntu 8.04 / DeLiLinux 0.7.2
    Lappy: Compaq EVO N115 | Mobile Duron 1GHz | 384MB PC133 | VIA KM133 | Xubuntu 8.04
    A big thanks to MS's Vista for making me look into Linux distros!

hmmm,
    this is really tricky actually, the Kyro II is undoubtedly the more powerful, but the Voodoo 5 has 3DNow! support in the drivers, meaning it may make better usage of the CPU you have. Whichever you choose, the CPU is going to be the bottleneck. If you are planning to get a new motherboard and CPU soon, I'd go with the Kyro, otherwise I'd stick with the Voodoo. Even though the Voodoo won't have any driver updates (3dfx have gone bust), it won't really matter coz you ain't gonna be able to play all those fancy new games on a K6-2 anyway, at least not at any decent kind of resolution
    Fallguy

Since the K6-series has a weak FPU and the KyroII has no T&L, it isn't a good match. The best vid card for that setup is the 4ns Cardex Geforce2MX. It should clock to 250mhz and beyond, no problem.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

Neither. throw your mony in to new CPU/MB, then think about the graphic card.

What ever you buy 3D perfromnces while suck, maybe GeForce MX would be the best solution and with T&L optimised games you can play at very good frame rate @ 800x600x16 resolution.

K6x series of CPUs was alwayas intented for office PCs, not really for gaming and it is not only K6x problem but very slow chipsets for SS7 platform.

BTW V5 still works great with all games. It hase much less problems then Geforce series or specialy Kyro series.

Originally posted by miha76:
    BTW V5 still works great with all games. It hase much less problems then Geforce series or specialy Kyro series.
    With the latest revision of their drivers you mean lol how do you know that Kyro2 has problems?

Thread Information