I need advice on getting new monitor
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need advice on getting new monitor

I need advice on getting new monitor

Hi everyone...

After 6 years of good use, my Mag DX-1795 17" monitor is starting to fade, so I'm considering upgrading to a 19". I have a 19" KDS VS190 at work, and it's certainly decent for the price (less than $290 delivered), but for another hundred bucks or so KDS also has the AV-195TF which has a Trintron tube. Likewise, Viewsonic has the PF790 for about the same price, and that is also well reviewed.

I went by the local Micro Center today to look at various displays, and none of them were particularly impressive; although I tend to attribute that to the fact that they are sharing the same video from one computer.

Does anyone here have any experience/comments with the AV-195TF or PF790? Any other 19" monitors in the sub $400 range I should consider? Is now a good time to buy, with prices dropping, or should I hold out a bit longer? Thanks for any info....

Link to similar topic: http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/013962.html

PC World's chart at the following link: http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/artic...25,pg,2,00.asp

Between the KDS and the Viewsonic that you have posted, I vote for the Viewsonic.
    Currently, I am making use of a Samsung 900NF as primary monitor.

------------------
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

[This message has been edited by Shinma (edited 05-07-2001).]
    "I know nothing."
    Cheers.

I could've sworn that I replied to this message earlier today. Anyway, the ViewSonic's and Sony's are the best choices.

All is said in the link.
    ? Quantum Physics ? Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Thanks for the leads...

Anyone have any feelings on LCD monitors (other than the large prices)? I was also thinking of trying to snatch one from Ubid if the price was right...

Well, after further thought, and a look at my cramped computer area, I opted for the 19" KDS VS-195SN short neck, which won't take up anymore depth than my current 17" monitor if the specs are correct. $230 from Egghead with free delivery and a 3 year warranty....

Deanril Guest
    I have a KDS 21 AVITRON ,and a KDS vs19sn ,the sn has great color and looks sweet ,but its a fishbowl ,I would opt for a Flatscreen if I were you ,they may have some Flat screen short necks , www.onvia.com ,I think they have some samsung or something....

[This message has been edited by Deanril (edited 05-11-2001).]

Here in Duluth, the local Best Buy has a KDS AV195TfF 19" flat screen for $399.00-50.00 rebate=$349.00. You must have a Best Buy somewre close to you sao you could a least check it out.

------------------
    All good things come to those who wait!!!!

I bought a KDS AV-195TF about a month ago and am very pleased. I paid $400 - $50 rebate = $350 at Best Buy.

------------------
    Abit KT7A-Raid MB

AMD 1.2 Athlon

Western Digital 20 gig 7200 rpm 100 ATA
    HD

Golden Orb Fan

384 Mg PC133 Ram

Sound Blaster X-Gamer
    Live 5.1

Voodoo 5 5500

Hewlet Packard 9350I
    CD Writer

Delta 50X CD Rom

US Robotics 56k Modem

KDS AV-195TF 19" Flat
    Screen

The ViewSonic PF790 is an excellent monitor-- I pat myself on the back every time I sit down in front of it.

Samsung 900NF or Hitachi CM771/CM772.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

I would go for anything that's made by viewsonic, i am not a brand name freak, i just think they make terrific monitor for the price.

------------------
    I'm very busy fixing computer, but, if your problem is sincere enough, and i have time, i'll get out of my where for you!
    I'm very busy fixing computer, but, if your problem is sincere enough, and i have time, i'll get out of my way for you!

Hey, balonyflaps, have you heard of the G90F Veiwsonic? Can get one localy for $450.00 plus tax=$479.20

------------------

Iiyama makes the best monitors. Their Pro series puts Viewsonic to shame for the same price.

Think of Viewsonic and Sony as the Pepsi and Coke of the monitor world. Theres nothing special about either of them, but their "reputation" (!hype!) would have you think that

Want to hear some REAL experiences? Our shop bought 12 Professional Series PF775 monitors from Viewsonic. After 6 months FIVE of them have FAILED and had to be sent back to the factory for repair. That is unacceptable in my mind.

I and 3 of my friends have bought Iiyama monitors in the last 4 years - not one has had any trouble, not even the one thats 4 years old.

------------------
    This signature space FOR SALE
    This signature space FOR SALE

Plus, Viewsonics have the worst set of controls ever.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

K6-III-- qualify your statement, please.

What is wrong with the controls, and even IF they were the worst why would that matter since a normal user will touch the controls about ONCE per year (if that)?

I haven't even considered touching the controls of my monitor since the first week I bought it.

Thread Information