Video Capture Cards
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Video Capture Cards

Video Capture Cards

Hi,

First of all, my apologies in advance if this topic has been covered before. I just did a search of the postings for "Video Capture" and saw messages from 1999.

I am considering purchasing a video capture card and need some advice and I thought your group looked like the one to go to.

I have a JVC GRDVL305U. My PC is a Pentium 3, 1 Ghz, 256 MB RAM and a 20 Gig HD. I am also running Windows ME.

I would like to capture video from my camcorder for the purpose of sharing via the web. I can upload the files to the Internet and stream the file. I will only be sharing video of family events (baby video). I will not be editing the next Star Wars.

I would like to know what video capture card and software is recommended. There are so many out there.

Is anyone out there familiar with Studio Online? What is your opinion of this product? Are there any other products on the market that are comparable to Studio Online?

Thank you in advance for your assistance.
    -Neal Jacob

Is Your camcorder digital?

------------------
    "It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." John Andrew Holmes
    "If it works it's not overclocked!"
    My Stuff

Yes, it has a firewire port, as well as a JLIP, and S-Terminal. I do not yet have a firewire card on my PC, so I was looking at Pinnacle Systems' Studio Online because I can download via a cable that has RCA connections on one end and USB on the other, no card required. I just was would like some opinions on various video capturing hardware/software.

Thank you :-)
    -Neal

I also just found the ADS Technologies Pyro Digital Card. Again, any advice on any video capture hardware/software packages (such as Pinnacle's Studio Online) would be appreciated :-)

TIA,
    Neal

I like the pinnacle StudioDV, which includes the firewire card and is very easy to install if you have a free IRQ .. the Studio Online' is a new product and I am not familiar with it.. It looks interesting, and very flexible.. I cannot see if it provides 'Video' out though, and i feel that would be a big 'minus' if it does not..

------------------
    "It is well to remember that the entire universe, with one trifling exception, is composed of others." John Andrew Holmes

[This message has been edited by Diogenes (edited 05-09-2001).]
    My Stuff

Studio Online does not have video out, which I agree with you is a "BIG MINUS".

So, I guess that brings me to Studio DV vs. the others.

Studio DV is $99 but I have seen it close to $80.

ADS Technologies Pyro is available for less than $70.

The main difference I see between the two packages is that DV is a full fledged version (software) and Pyro includes Media Studio Pro Lite (by Ulead). So, I wonder what the "Lite" version is lacking??

I found the Pinnacle software that came with DV to be very friendly.. I have not liked the U-Lead 'lite' products I have tried..

I Also Like MGI VideoWave software.. It can be found for about $80, kinda pricey, but a good product.. they have a downloadable trial version.. So you might consider finding the cheapest FIREWIRE card you can find, and getting VideoWave..

------------------
    My Stuff

You said it was a digital video cam, so all you need on your computer is a firewire card, and some software to capture from it. You dont need a dedicated video capture card.

The only software I have used for a period of time is Adobe Premiere, which is overkill for what you want.

For exporting your final video, try mediacleaner ez. Theres a free version. Terran interactive make it. It should really reduce the size of your video.

------------------
    Gareth Church
    Gareth Church

Thank you Gareth,

Yes, a firewire card and software is all I need. I am a DV "newbie" so I guess I used the wrong terminology :-) I don't need a dedicated "video capture card", but what firewire card to get? There are quite a few out there and several software packages too.

Some manufacturers bundle their firewire card with software. Any one particular package that is better than the others?

I looked for Media Cleaner and the only version I was able to find was for a PowerPC (Mac) and I have a Dell Pentium 3.

Thank you,
    Neal

Neal, I gave you my best shot with this..
    'I Also Like MGI VideoWave software.. It can be found for about $80, kinda pricey, but a good product.. they have a downloadable trial version.. So you might consider finding the cheapest FIREWIRE card you can find, and getting VideoWave..
    '

Maybe someone else can add more...

------------------
    My Stuff

What's the URL?

MGI

------------------
    My Stuff

I have media cleaner 4.0.3, but version 5 is soon to come out, so I think they have taken down the link to the old version.
    http://www.terran.com/products/cleaner/trial.html will tell you when its available.

I dont know how the trial is limited, I have used it on quite a few videos, using a few different codecs and other output options, and some quite long clips.

------------------
    Gareth Church
    Gareth Church

Thread Information