TNT2 Troubles
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: TNT2 Troubles

TNT2 Troubles

I've been having problems with my nVidia TNT 2 for months now. It varies, but generally I get dashed lines and stray letters, symbols, and blocks of colour all over the place during startup. Sometimes it simply won't start up, other times the display settings are wrong, or the drivers seem to have uninstalled themselves. Any ideas?

[I'm running Win98 with Intel 733Mhz processor, 128Mb ram, Gigabyte (GA-6VM7A+) motherboard with onboard sound, and of course, the nVidia TNT2 32Mb graphics card.]

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by didi (edited 05-03-2001).]

Not sure really, but thinking could be some kind of conflict, have you checked for any conflicts in device manager, and what version, det driver you using, well thats all i can think of, maybe someone else might be able to come up with something, cheers.

------------------
    Duron 700@700
    Asus A7pro
    32 Herc Prophet MX
    256 PC 133 Cas 3
    46 gig Deskstar 7200
    17"old osborne monitor
    50x AOpen cdrom
    Turtle speed 56k modem
    elcheapo subwoofer
    -------------------------
    Just because you can't see it, that doesnt mean it doesnt exist.
    Athlon 1.2ghz
    Asus A7V 133
    512mgs 133
    40g IBM GXP
    Leadtek 64mg GF2Pro
    50x AOpen cdrom

-------------------------
    Just because you can't see it, that dosn't mean that, it dosn't exist.

Have you tried to scan for any viruses?
    Maybe you try download the detonator driver for your card. I'm using 7.58 now. Here's the link to download 'em.

http://www.tweakersasylum.com/Detona...r9x.html#det9x

[This message has been edited by Berserker (edited 05-03-2001).]

Have you checked you Aperture Size in your Bios settings? I recall that there were some problems with the Riva TNT2 M64 cards. I think the Aperture size should be on 16.
    I'm not sure this will solve the problem, but hey, you can allways try
    *Ignorance is Bliss*

Thanks for the ideas. I checked the aperture setting - it was on 64, so I tried 16, but no luck (none of the other settings seemed to improve the situation either). Also, no viruses, and I'm using Detonator 3 version 4.12.01.0631, 09/20/2000, but have tried alternative drivers (from the Win98 and TNT2 disks) but to no avail. I'm wondering if it might be a conflict, though I don't know much about these. The computer doesn't report it as a conflict, but it does use the same IRQ as the onboard sound. Only thing is, when I try to change that it won't let me: I took it off 'use automatic settings' but it tells me 'the resource setting cannot be modified' anyway. All advice, hints, magical chants, etc gratefully received...

Try going into the BIOS and there should be an option of PnP OS - set it to NO. Also there should be an option of Rest Configuration Data or Force ESCD update in the PnP/PCI section of the BIOS - set this to YES. Boot into windows it should re-assign the IRQ's for your hardware.

If you still have problems try disabling ACPI.

If all else fails back-up your Registry and try this...

open Regedit and Delete the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum key. (This is where windows keeps the list of all the hardware it has ever detected). Reboot and Windows will redetect all your hardware. Make sure you have all your Drivers Handy....

Thread Information