DVD inlay decoder
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: DVD inlay decoder

DVD inlay decoder

Hello everyone. I'm in need some DVD expertise if I can get it. I have a Creative labs model CT7160 "inlay" type DVD decoder card that uses a 26 pin VMI (video module interface) connector to "inlay" a digital video signal directly to the display adapter(as opposed to "overlay" using a patch through cable". Now, this card was manufactured in late '97 and is/was supposedly only compatible with certain display adapters at the time. In the manual that came with this thing, it lists the following compatible video cards and the associated port interface connectors:

Proprietary port-- 3Dlabs Permedia II
    VMI port- Cirrus Logic GD5446, 546x, & 548x
    LPB port- S3 Trio64V2 DX/GX, Virge DX/GX
    AMC port- ATI 3D Rage-II, II+, & 3D rage pro
    VPE port- Trident 3DImage 975
    Video Port- Oak Technology OTI-217 & OTI-317
    Video Port- Nvidia Riva 128

This list of cards is about 2 years old and is there for quite outdated. My current 3D card is a V770 non-ultra. As many of you know, the V770 does have a 26pin VMI connector on it. Unfortunately, when I install the inlay cable between the decoder card and the V770, I get a purple and green picture when I try to watch a movie. I can leave the cable out and use the composite video output on the back of the decoder card to display on a tv, but I would really like to be able to watch them on my monitor as well. If anyone has any tips or ideas, I would be glad to hear them.

I just bought the CT7160 too. I have a PIII 500, 128mb ram and V770 ultra. If I use the PC-DVD player that came with the card and the new CT7160 driver it works fine, but if I use the new PC-DVD player from creative's download site then I get the green screen. I'm not sure why it does this, everywhere I've looked for an answer people say you don't have the cable attached right. There is something in the newer PC-DVD that causes it to display green and some DVD's don't play. If you haven't figured it out yet there are a few places to download the PC-DVD player, Try an older one than what you have or try the new one from creative at http://support.soundblaster.com/files/download.asp?OS=Win95&prod=dvd_lux hope this helps.

HOLY SH*T!!!!!!!!!!

This is truly amazing. Thanks a lot timjseitz!!!

I gave up on this thing way back there, but now there may be renewed hope. I'm going to give it a try. It's rare to see a tech support post come back from the dead like this, especially in the video cards section.

Thanks again, if this works I owe you one.

I'm too using the decoder card you mentioned, and used to be quite happy with it on my V770 Ultra. However, after updating the the newer 3.53 detonator drivers, the video starts to get jumpy. Image is clear, but just seems like jumping up and down rapidly at a constant rate. If I switch the mode from "optimize frame-rate" to "stable image" the problem is fixed, but the result isn't as good as previously. You'll notice this if you see carefully, that with "optimize frame-rate" enabled you'll see a weaving interlacing effect to smooth out the jagginess instead of just anti-aliasing them, as in "stable" mode. The interlace effect is there even if you pause it, so if you can't notice it, pause it and look closely at the screen.

Any help on how to get back to the good old days?

Thanks.

Has anybody got a copy of the older driver ? I lost my cdrom and driver disk and i also get the green screen from the new download abailable from Creative.

Thanks in advance
    Neville

Thread Information