Why can't I run my 4x card @ 4X!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Why can't I run my 4x card @ 4X!

Why can't I run my 4x card @ 4X!

I have a 4x AGP card and a 4x compliant motherboard but I cannot seem to get my video card to run at 4x? Is there something I am missing? I am running an AMD t-bird 850MHz CPU on a MSI K7T Turbo mobo. I have downloaded all the newest drivers for everything I can think of but I cannot get the 4x I paid for! HELP!

You'll probably need to change the AGP driving value in the BIOS. The exact vaule depends on who makes your gfx card. However, AGP 4x makes b*gger all difference to the performance.

www.viahardware.com has some info

Thats very true, it did nothing for me. I guess it does sound good though
    I dont know... I just dont.

Justintime Guest
    yup, AGP 4X is highly overrated

------------------
    Jr

I just had the same problem with my A7V MB and an All-N-Wonder 128 Pro vid card.

I had to download an AGP 4X driver from ASUS.com. It was not part of the VIA 4in1 driver set. Neither VIA or ASUS mentioned this driver in any FAQ, I found it when browsing the ASUS web site.

I know you are not using the same board, but perhaps you need a mystery driver as well.

Hope this helps.

------------------
    “Never turn down the opportunity to solve a problem…it is the process
    by which we solve that problem that we learn the most.” – Unknown
    “Never turn down the opportunity to solve a problem…it is the process
    by which we solve that problem that we learn the most.” – Unknown

Well, I got it working, had to actually go and run REGEDIT and change the value in my retgistry from there. Didnt really notice much of a difference. I'm just disappointed because I purchased Mechwarrior 4 just to see what my AGP would do. The game gets really "jerky" for the lack of a better description. The game only calls for an 8MB video card and a P-II 300MHz or higher and 64 MB of RAM. I'm running an AMD T-Bird 850MHz, 32 MB video card and 128 MB of RAM. But it still gets really jerky during gameplay. Makes it really hard to aim at anything. I thought maybe it was because my card was getting too hot so i tried mounting a small fan to the heatsink on the video card bnut I havent found a good way to do it yet. Any suggestions on all of this?

robv60- what Gfx card are you using and which drivers? Which version of DirectX ? Which version of the VIA AGP miniport driver are you using? (note - version number of AGP miniport driver does not match version number of the 4in1 set).

Which OS are you using?

Have you tried killing off all tasks and programs except Systray and Explorer to free up as much memory as possible before playing Mechwarrior 4.

Im using Windows 98 and a Diamond MultiMedia Diamond Stealth III card. Not sure about the VIA drivers. I downloaded the drivers for the diamond stealth card for win 98. The chipset on the card are S3-Savage4 GT/pro. If that helps. Also having trouble getting Win 98 to recognize my MS Sidewinder 3d Pro joystick. The fun never ends!

robv60, which values did you have to change in the registry? I have the same board,running ME, and my AIW Radeon was running 4x until i flashed to 1.6 OC Bios. now i'm stuck @ 1x in ME, but when i boot to W2K i'm still running 4x...
    Dual XP-M 2400+ @ 2800+,MSI K7D Master,2x512 Crucial PC2100,AIW 9800

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=27592

My guess is you need more RAM... but then ago the Stealth III isn't the fastest card on the block either. The slowdown is probably the result of one of those two factors if I had to wager.

Try the VIA website or www.viahardware.com there's a fix for some of the MS joysticks. It could just be a USB issue though.

Is that the S540 video card? If it is then you've found your problem. That card is sub TNT2 m64 performance. You could have a 2 Ghz Tbird and gaming would still blow. Run 640x480x16 for playable framerates.

Yes, thats the one. The Diamond Stealth s540. Ive gotten it to run at 4x, but, my problem is that the graphics are so choppy during gameplay. While "trying' to play Combat Flight Simulator, I can hardly aim at anything because the game will sort of "pause" and then move again and is just really choppy. What would be a good inexpensive card for me to consider? I do alot of graphic design in Photoshop and I also enjoy VERY smotth,realistic graphics when playing games.

You want to get Fachman's tweaked 2.2 or 2.3 drivers from www.savagenews.com

Then overclock the card to 166/166. It will make it as good as it can possibly be. Post results. I would expect at least a 20% boost in framerates.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

OK, I downloaded the drivers. Got three(more)questions for you....

1. How do I overclock the card?
    2. Wont overclocking the card make it run even hotter than it already does? The heatsink on the card seems to run pretty warm not HOT, you can hold your hand on it, but still pretty warm.
    3. What would be a good way to rig up a small fan to the heatsink?

Thread Information