Div-x playback
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Div-x playback

Div-x playback

I've got a problem with the playback of div-x movies. When i play one the video playback stops now and then. The sound keeps on playing. I's very difficult to watch a movie!

this is my configutation:
    Asus P5A with bios 1007
    amd k6-2 400
    64mb memory
    13Gb Ibm harddisk
    52X Asus cdrom-dive
    Soundblaster live!
    Powercolor sniper2 (riva tnt2 m64)
    I've also tried a s3 virge 4mb and a voodoo 3 3000.

HELP!!!

DivX is a very demanding application for your system, so maybe you must upgrade to watch a movie at a decent framerate..

On the otherhand you can try to adjust some setting in your bios or windows to speed things up!

------------------
    Fast, Faster, WooHoO!!!
    Fast, Faster, WooHoO!!!

you will probably need a ~700mhz cpu min for divX playback

------------------
    tbird 950@1040 - kt7raid
    1024mb crucial RAM
    2x 30gb ibm gxp - raid0
    2x plextor 1210a - pioneer 16x dvd
    sblive platinum - klipsch pro media
    g400max - 22" NEC fp1370 + 15" dell
    reincarnated from myklpaso reincarnated from never2muchRAM

yes I am I again.

My girlfriends system is almost identical to yours SebaS, only she has 128Mb of RAM.

It plays back DiVX movies fine. Are you making these movies yourself? If so, perhaps you need to reduce the bit-rate so your system can handle it better.

------------------
    HWC ICQ Active List

Holy cow! Ya, you MAYBE can play a DivX movie on a K62 400 but the video quality will have to be so crappy that I don't even think it will be worth it.

Personally, I think DivX is so crappy anyhow, why waste your time? Call me picky if you want, but we finally got good video on DVD and then they want to be able to fit it on a CD. So they used DivX encoding which took all that work for those crisp clear pictures and digitaly perfect movies and downgraded them into something worse than VHS (IMHO).

I can't stand the quality of DivX. I'll stick to DVD. I do not see the benefit of DivX encoding other than viewing old, discontinued DivX movies (which were a waste of $ IMHO, but that's another topic). Encoding new DVD into DivX only enables you to pirate the DVD onto a CD. Why? Quality is noticably lower, so I wouldn't use it for a backup. Giving a copy away is illegal (whoopie) but even so, it is not the quality of the original DVD.

The only option I have left is for making movies from home video or something similar. Ok, this one I could see. Quality is not the top priority here unless you have a new, high dollar camcorder.

So what's the big beaf with DivX again... I just don't get it... Why bother?

Ok, so I'm a little harsh. Sorry, DivX has been one of those things I have been against since the beginning when they were a product from Circut City. That whole idea was just not right. There was a site called bandivx.com which had over 1000 reasons not to buy DivX over DVD. I looked long and hard in those days for a site that was pro DivX with some good reasons to purchace DivX equipment and movies. Even links from DivX.com did not resolve a single good reason to buy DivX. So the whole name, DivX, just pokes a nerve. Bad idea.

So now with the DivX encoding brought to the PC's what are you gaining but the ability to pirate some DVD movies?

Please fill me in if I am missing something... Sorry I rambled..

------------------
    Athlon 750 - ASUS K7V - VooDoo5 5500 - 128M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2

First off the DivX we are talking about here is NOT the same as what Circuit City was try to sell. Yes, that REALLY sucked but DivX (MPEG4) is really pretty dang good. DivX is similar to what MP3s are to CDs. It is just a compression method.

And saying this,
    So they used DivX encoding which took all that work for those crisp clear pictures and digitaly perfect movies and downgraded them into something worse than VHS (IMHO).
    convinces me you haven't seen a GOOD DivX rip. My DivX movies are VERY high quality and are as close to DVD as your going to get with out it being a DVD. Grant it my DivX movies are normally around the 1GB range but when you compress it enough to fit on a CD you lose ALOT of the video quality. The BIG negitive of DivX movies is that they use MP3 to compress the audio which suck because you're not going to get the 5.1 (AC-3 or DTS) sound. Also another negative about DivX is that the ripping processes takes a VERY powerful PC to get it done in a short time. You also need a pretty powerful machine to play some of these high quality DivX movies. It takes a PIII750-800 (minimum) to play my movies with smooth frame rates.

Now I'm sure you're saying, "why the hell do you go through all that trouble to convert DVD to DivX?" Well, I have ALL my DivX movies on my server and can stream them to any PC or TV. All you have to do is double click on the movie you want and BAM, your watching it! Also, since it is a file on a hard drive, several people can watch the same movie at the same time and be at different parts of the movie. Very cool! No more getting off the couch and looking through all your DVDs or VHS movies to see what you want to watch. It is basically an on screen menu. I going to replace ALL my DivX movies with actual DVD rips but HDs aren't big enough for that yet. You also have the freakin' 4GB file size limitation for movies. Once Seagate comes out with there 160GB drives, I'll get a few of those and I'll be able to select DVD quality movies instead of DivX. DivX quality is MUCH better than VHS, so if you can watch a VHS movie, you can definitely tolerate a DivX movie, but I prefer the DVD if I can get away with it.

LaoChe,

No, I have not seen a DivX movie personally. I only saw the reviews of MPEG4 and the comparisons to DVD.

One review here: http://www6.tomshardware.com/video/00q3/000913/ . A note on this one is that if you look on that first page at the 2 Matrix pictures, I clearly see fuzziness and color degradation. The jaggies which are very evident around her index finger holding the phone and the phone itself.

I'm assuming that those shots were from a file size that would fit onto CD. Granted, if you didn't compress as much, it might look a lot better. But just the 720x576 Max resolution of DivX to 1920x1152 of DVD causes me a little concern. And the added fact that I'd lose my 5.1 DTS and Dolby surround that makes the whole movie come to life...

Now the picture on the 5th page (dvd_04.html) of that review is a picture of Speed 2. This picture looks a lot better than that of the Matrix but there is still some color blotching which gets especially bad in the shadows. I still see some jaggies around the back of her arm, though they are much better than the jaggies on the Matrix shot. But, as you stated LaoChe, If they rip the audio to MP3 and I again lose my 5.1 audio... Why bother. Simple distribution doesn't cut it for me.

Besides, if 3 people want to watch the same movie in my house, they can get in the same room. And if they want to watch different movies, they can take the DVD to another DVD player in another room. Now, I understand that a lot of people can not afford 4 DVD players and a nice surround system. (Although, if they can afford enough hardware to decode it that many times, I'd find that hard to believe they couldn't afford another DVD player or 2) But the 5.1 channel sound is one of the big things that make the DVD worth it. It is so much different than listening through stereo speakers (even really nice stereo speakers) or the TV speakers (YUCK!). The way the sound envelops you into the film... That is one thing I am not willing to surrender.

Even if you could decode the video and leave the audio alone, how much room is that really going to save you then? One half? One Third? Interesting. Ohh, and BTW, I only watch VHS when I recorded something off the TV. I do not watch VHS movies accept on the rarest occasion. I have replaced all available VHS movies with DVDs. But then you have some movies like Star Wars which refuse to release the DVD until 2005, (bastages!) in which I have to pull out the VHS when I want to watch. Which is one reason I have not watched them in a while.

My biggest statement would be, and this is strictly my opinion (And my wife's): If I am going to sit down to a movie, then I want the full movie experience. I do not want to waste my time with some product that is not 100% of the entertainment value I was expecting. I want the sharpest video I can get and the highest quality 5.1 DTS or Dolby Digital surround available. I want to be enveloped in the movie, not repulsed by it. And having recently watched a few cuts from a movie at a friends house whom does not have a surround system but does have an excelent stereo system, all I kept thinking was; "Where's the sound? Where's all the great effects? Something is missing!".

------------------
    Athlon 1.33G - ASUS A7V133 - Leadtek Geforce 2 MX400 - 512M Mushkin High Perf PC133 CAS2

I want the sharpest video I can get and the highest quality 5.1 DTS or Dolby Digital surround available.
    So you're saying you have an HD TV (or Sony WEGA), right? Because after all, if you just have a regular TV you're not doing the DVD justice. I sit back and watch DVD movies on my 21" Sony monitor and 5.1 surround setup because the picture looks MUCH better than watching a DVD on my 35" Toshiba TV. If I have more people over I'll watch the movie out in the living room. I agree with you Rock Dog that DivX isn't as good as DVD but it VERY nice quality. I wish I could show you a DivX rip that I did and you tell me it is crappy.

If you don't like DivX you can still stream DVDs movies from your server to your TV. Yes, it is more expensive than having a set top box but it is MUCH more convenient than looking for a DVD (especially if you have a large collection of them) on some rack. All you have to do is double click and you're watching the movie.

[This message has been edited by LaoChe (edited 02-25-2001).]

Originally posted by Rock Dog:
    [BBut just the 720x576 Max resolution of DivX to 1920x1152 of DVD causes me a little concern. [/B]
    Hmm, you are mistaken, All Region 1 DVD's are encoded at 720*576, there are no 1920 line DVD's anywhere, they simply wouldn't fit on a DVD. When blue-laser Hi Def DVD players come out perhaps.

Also, the still pictures dont show what is like when it is in motion, very good indeed if done properly. Also some divX's I've been playing recently have Dolby surround, which is a nice improvement over 2 channel stereo.

You won't be able to say until you see it for yourself.

well what i can tel about div-x playback is good i play my movie (just have scary movie) on 550 mhz athlon and i can say that it's true that "it doesn't have dvd quality" but it's pretty good for just a cd, the sound it's ok the image quality is as good as a tv image or better and you can only tell the difference if you wach the movie close to the monitor but if you keep the distance it seems good.
    not everyone have the money to buy a dvd and i think that div-x is the perfect solution to watch movies on the pc at a very low cost

what do you mean with a 700 mhz processor i like the quality on my athlon 550 i think i'm pretty much higher than the minimum requirement.
    athlon 550 mhz (classic)
    tekram kx133 mobo
    64 mb pc100 ram (soon to be 128)
    1 gb fujitsu hd
    3 gb quantum hd (need badly a new hd)
    ati radeon 32 sdram (i'm pretty happy with this card)
    14 viewsonic e-40 monitor
    16x hitach cdrom

LaoChe,

No, I do not have HDTV, Yet (I am actually in the process of purchasing one.) But I do have a Digital High Res TV, which is much better than standard TV but just a hair shy of HDTV. Progressive scan also makes a big difference. But I also run a more standard TV (680 lines horizontal Res) with a standard DVD player in the bedroom which looks very good also.

What video hook ups are you using; RCA, S-VIDEO, or component? I have seen a lot of people who get DVD and don't see the huge difference people talk about until they use the S-VIDEO or Component outputs to their TV or HDTV converter. Then they get the good picture. If you are using the RCA style inputs, then that can cause a lot of quality degradation from what I have witnessed.

Now granted, my 21" Hitachi monitor would produce a better picture than my standard TV due to the fine detail the monitor is capable of, but I do not want to sit in my desk chair for a movie. I want to sit comfortably on the sofa or arm chair and enjoy the film.

Even as good (if not better) than the video, is the sound, and the system in the living room is a no contest winner. Using digital optical or composite audio output to a high current receiver with a nice compliment of matched theater speakers (Not those little cubes, I do not care for those), easily beats what my computer is capable of. Even with the hardware I have on the PC (SQ2500 & FPS2000), it is not capable of the volume, fullness, and fill of my home theater system.

Now, If I could store my entire collection in digital format and feed it to a hardware decoder and my home theater system with the high quality S-video or component outputs that I use, then having a storage system like you do might start to look more appealing. But, as for physically getting a DVD, I have no issues what so ever. They are stored on an easily accessible rack in alphabetical order. And my collection is very large (excessive is more like it). We have more trouble trying to decide which one we want to watch than finding it and placing the DVD in the player.

I would not mind seeing a DivX movie in the highest quality possible and comparing it to DVD and give it a rating accordingly. (I wish I could see your DivX rip so I could tell you it's crappy! ;-) just kidding) And for those whom have a computer powerful enough to decide it and do not have a home theater setup, then they could probably not tell much of a difference. But given a decent home theater system set up correctly, (and I'm not talking an extremely high dollar one either) I believe most people would prefer the quality and comfort of the home system to the PC. But this is simply my opinion, based on the reactions I have seen from other friends and people I have witnessed. :-)

------------------

Pradeep,

You mis-read my statement.
    Originally posted by Rock Dog:
    But just the 720x576 Max resolution of DivX to 1920x1152 of DVD causes me a little concern.
    Most DVD's may be encoded at 720x576. They may also be at 1920x1152. I do not know. I will try to check. But I do know that the maximum capable res of DivX is 720x576 and DVD is 1920x1152. Here are a few links:
    This one talks about the MPEG-2 levels and profiles and compression formats. U.S. Digital TV Standard.
    This one has a chart with stats for MPEG-2 (DVD) and MPEG-4 (DivX). MPEG-4

And as far as holding, the newer formats are capable of holding over 18G per disk. Take, for example, Terminator 2, collector's edition, in the metal case. Some people got 2 disks. A rare few got a single disk. (I was one of the lucky few) The single disk is one of the newer high density DVD disks. The entire collection was able to fit on a single disk. And on a single side. They were having trouble getting enough of those disks in time so they switched to 2 older style disks in mid line to get the DVD out on time. The few rare T2 metal cases on single disks are some of the new disk formats. But the content on the 2 disk set and the single version are identical.

So if they encoded a movie in 1920x1152, I see no trouble getting it to fit. Then make it progressive scan. You'd drule. At lease I would.

------------------

Originally posted by tool bag:
    not everyone have the money to buy a dvd and i think that div-x is the perfect solution to watch movies on the pc at a very low cost

what do you mean with a 700 mhz processor i like the quality on my athlon 550 i think i'm pretty much higher than the minimum requirement.
    athlon 550 mhz (classic)
    tekram kx133 mobo
    64 mb pc100 ram (soon to be 128)
    1 gb fujitsu hd
    3 gb quantum hd (need badly a new hd)
    ati radeon 32 sdram (i'm pretty happy with this card)
    14 viewsonic e-40 monitor
    16x hitach cdrom
    Well, with that first comment about DivX being cheaper, that just boosts my argument about people using DivX encoding to pirate the movies. Downloading movies that someone else ripped off their DVD is illegal for both the person who downloaded and the person who posted. And it is no little $10 ticket either. I'm not saying I am someone who runs to the authorities every time I see a burned copy of some software, but I do know that DivX encoding is going to be used to pirate movies, even if just for friends and not to the public. It WILL happen. And since I see no other benefits as of yet to using DivX over DVD, that is the only use I see DivX having.

As for your comment on not needing a lot of hardware, I do not know. I just quote from the reviews I have seen. Here is one.
    Quote from Tom's Hardware
    One thing must be made very clear at this point: Playback of MPEG-4 encoded video movies requires very sophisticated hardware. In our test we used a system containing an AMD Thunderbird with 800 MHz and 128 MB of memory. After all, at full screen playback (1024 x 768 x 16) of the video encoded with 720 x 576, the CPU load under Windows 2000 was almost at 80 percent. However, friends of socket7 platforms are going to be disappointed: When we tested it with an AMD K6-2/450 the playback was not smooth.
    With 80% load, I'd thing a 550 would be a touch overloaded or very close. With only one movie to test, as you state, your statement might be very inaccurate. Your test movie might not be the best encoding, using a better quality encoding method might start to task your system on playback.

Lastly, sorry, but I have to ask... A 14" monitor?!? My laptop has a bigger viewing area. How can that look better than any TV? You'd need a magnifying glass to see the picture at all! Especially in the preferred format, Letterbox (Wide Screen). My Goodness! Imagine a 2.35:1 format movie on a 14" screen. OUCH!

Sorry, I just couldn't help it. It is just rare for me to see anything other than a 17" or even 15". But a 14". You take the cake on that one. I honestly did not know they still made 14" monitors.

------------------

I have a p3 500, and i can watch DivX movies just fine. Yes, it's not dvd quality, but the quality offered is more than enough for TV watching.

You can tell the difference in your computer monitor but you CAN'T in yout TV.

------------------
    Keyboard not detected, press F1 to continue...
    If you were in a world full of crazy people, who would be the crazy person?
    OTCentral

Thread Information