Off topic "ish" but it is a display ... my TV is dying?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Off topic "ish" but it is a display ... my TV is dying?

Off topic "ish" but it is a display ... my TV is dying?

It is sometimes showing Red items as either a washed out orange or green in the bottom left hand corner. It's not that bad but people look like "Martians" if they are in that corner . Just wondering if this points to a particular "solvable" fault or it's skip time for the TV. It is 18 years old but I'm quite fond off it

Your on the cutting edge of home pc entertainment, and you have an 18 year old telly????

You need help

Same thing happened to my brothers TV. It was a Sony Trinitron, which was just inside its 5year warranty.

So we called them out, and this TV repair dood came round and plugged this 'magic wand thingy' into a wall socket, and waved it wildy around the TV.

He looked so funny, I nearly shouted out 'Feel the Force Luke'

Anyway the screen went absolutely mental while he did this, but lo and behold it fixed it!

I think he said that is just needed de-magnetising or something. Even though I thought that it did that on every startup cos of the Buzz noise that can be heard.

Have a word with your local TV repair shop.

------------------
    P3 800e @ 1 Gig with Alpha PEP66 (YS-Tech fan: bloody noisy)
    BF6 Mobo
    Geforce2 GTS
    256M PC133 Crucial
    TurtleBeach Santa Cruz
    Iiyama VisionMaster Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Gasman

Lol....... it's rather funny if you look at it that way It is a bedroom TV however (but my main one isn't much newer) an old Grundig 16" colour with teletext. What I like about it is the remote control as you can have it pointing anywhere but it still works.

I hate some remotes I've come across that won't work if you are more than 2 degrees off of directly pointing at the TV, why do they make them like that?

Anyway It has never gone wrong once in those 18years and has a good picture, (until recently). I'd considered it may be degaussing it required but thought the fault was worse than that. Thanks I'll take it to the shop. Don't really want to replace it until Digital TV is cheaper and there is more choice.

Oh I forgot to mention It was the first "Luxury" item I bought with the first pay packet of my first job after leaving school

Can you e-mail me by the way please

[This message has been edited by BladeRunner (edited 03-11-2001).]

Yes, it looks like it's magnetized. Have you put a magnet or unshielded speakers near it?

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Blimey! You could prabably get a tan from that remote

I know what you mean tho. We have a Panasonic TV downstairs and its a real case of 'point and shoot' and then press it again for good measure. Lots of fun with teletext

------------------
    P3 800e @ 1 Gig with Alpha PEP66 (YS-Tech fan: bloody noisy)
    BF6 Mobo
    Geforce2 GTS
    256M PC133 Crucial
    TurtleBeach Santa Cruz
    Iiyama VisionMaster Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Well since the engineer came round with the magic wand the problem has come back. Somedays it more noticable than others, although the TV is now out of warrenty so there is not much I can do.

------------------
    Vision Master Pro 410
    Athlon 900Mhz
    Aabit KT7
    Geforce 256 ddr
    Plextor 8x4x24 ide
    quantum 5.1gig 5400rpm
    Aureal vortex 2
    Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr
    Vortex 2 (2048)
    GXP60 20Gbytes

When the engineer first came round to the house the problem wasn't visible, so he wouldn't take it in for a service. He did say that the blue and red at the corners that I described to him was a sign that the tube was going bad, and wouldn't be replaceable because of the model of sony wasn't made any more, and the tv would have to be replaced. He said to call him out again if the problem reoccurred but I never phoned him back.

------------------
    Vision Master Pro 410
    Athlon 900Mhz
    Aabit KT7
    Geforce 256 ddr
    Plextor 8x4x24 ide
    quantum 5.1gig 5400rpm
    Aureal vortex 2
    Athlon 1Ghz AXIA Stepping
    Abit KT7a Rev1
    256mb generic
    CL GTS 32ddr