Videocard Drivers
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Videocard Drivers

Videocard Drivers

Ok, I was trying to put the Nvidia Detonator Drivers 5.32 on my computer instead of 6.31 I had no luck. So I decided to try to install 6.35 again. I ran into some problems. To make a long long story short.

This is how my Drivers are. Is this safe.

I have a VisionTek GeForce2 MX Card and Windows ME with an Athlon 700 and Asus K7M.

Display Driver 6.31
    DirectDraw Driver 6.31
    OpenGl Client Driver 6.50
    Resource Manager Kernel 6.35
    Resource Manager 16bit Client 6.31
    Resource Manager 32bit Client 6.31
    VGA Virtualization 6.50
    PnP Services VDD for Secondary? 6.50
    Driver Display Mode Library 6.31
    Display Properties Extension 6.31
    Taskbar Utility Library 6.50
    Display Management Hook Library 6.50
    Main Computer Specs:
    Intel E8400 Core 2 Duo 3.0Ghz 45nm
    Asus P5E
    4gb OCZ Reaper HPC PC6400
    Seagate SATA2 250Gb
    eVGA 512Mb 8800GT
    SupremeFX II Mobo Audio (for time being)
    Wynndows7 Home Premium 64Bit
    Currently playing; Crysis, Just Cause 2, Alien Swarn, Borderlands, and Starcraft 2.

So you originally had the detonator 6.50's then (because you have a several 6.50 signature drivers)? And tried going to lower versions? You are uninstalling these from the Control Panel correctly, right? Try uninstalling them and then go into Safe Mode and then go to the Start Menu, and then go to Run and then run regedit. Type in NVidia in the "find" field and delete all necessary strings (unless they have to do with games). Only delete folders\strings that are directly NVidia related. BTW- why would you want to run the 5.32 drivers(considering the MX wasn't even around yet I believe)? I've heard of people doing it for 3Dmark2000 but that's only to throw off the benchmark... But if your setup works well there's no reason to change it- many people mix different versions of individual NVidia drivers when installing them to get better performance, so you should be ok with 6.31 and 6.50 drivers.
    My Guitar Hero 2 Xbox Live Ranking
    Main Rig (click this link for specs)
    Certified in: Nothing at all!
    Certifiable: 100% hands-on, real-world experience

Oh Yeah, I forgot to mention that my games only run as long as half an hour then they freeze up. I'm trying to get them to run longer. So far every attemt has failed. It's like their's some major compatability issue with Windows ME, GeForce2 MX, and Athlon's. Well mine any way.

I just thought of something. I've only had a problem since I installed my GeForce2 MX card. Previously I had a Voodoo3 3000 in the machine. All 3dfx drivers I can find that I know about have been deleted from the system. I have defragged my hard drives many many times, I have used Norton Clean Sweep to clean up and delete every little piece of old drivers I can find that aren't being used so I can use my games with no problems. Not a damn thing has worked.

Should I save all my game saves and re-install every game I have??? So they know I a GeForce card instead of a 3dfx?? Almost every game I have was installed when I had the V3 3000 in my system. I never had any problems with that card. None whatsoever.

I only upgraded because of faster speed and better looking graphics. But my MX card has no heat sink or fan. Just a fan blowing on it. Is their any other thing I can possibly do to keep the games running????? Updated drivers do not work. I already have the latest bios updates for my Bios. They are dated 4/2000. Please Someone give me hope. Please

[This message has been edited by Wynner2 (edited 02-23-2001).]
    Main Computer Specs:
    Asus P5E
    Seagate SATA2 250Gb
    eVGA 512Mb 8800GT
    Currently playing; Crysis, Just Cause 2, Alien Swarn, Borderlands, and Starcraft 2.

I found (with my GeForce DDR) that when it was crashing when I first bought it, changing drivers did nothing for making games last longer. It might be different for the MX, but I'm just speaking from personal experience.

Try taking the side off your case and blow an office fan at your gfx card. If that helps at all then it might be worth buying a heatsink and fan to slap on your video chip.

I think they're only about 10 ($15) so it's not a lot to make your system stable (possibly).

Have a look at the GeForce FAQ for some more ideas at making it more stable.

------------------
    http://www.toonweb.co.uk

What's your mobo? You do know about the irongate/AGP issue, right (I saw you was running an Athlon)?
    That's also extensively documented @ www.geforcefaq.com .
    This issue is not limited to just the irongate boards BTW, some VIA boards show the same symptoms. Switch to AGP 1x and see what happens.

[edited to fix stupid typo]
    ------------------
    Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    ---
    TBird 900@1020 (CM DP5-6H51)/ AOpen AK73Pro / Creative GeForce2 GTS 32MB @210/366 / 128MB Infineon PC133 CL2 / TerraTec DMX / IBM 75GXP 45GB / Hitachi DVD GD7500 / Plextor 8432T CDR-W

[This message has been edited by DaMekanik (edited 02-24-2001).]
    If it ain't broke...

...make it go faster!!

I have been trying to but I don't know how on my Motherboard. It's the Asus K7M. The first Athlon Motherboard from Asus. They must have been ashamed of it or something. For the longest time they didn't have any information about it on their web page.
    Main Computer Specs:
    Asus P5E
    Seagate SATA2 250Gb
    eVGA 512Mb 8800GT

The ASUS K7M is based on the AMD Irongate chipset. What I said in my previous post is valid for you.
    Download the registry fix to set the AGP speed to 1x, and you'll have no more locking up in games.

There's no harm in mixing driver versions like you indicated, so don't worry about that.

The registryfix can be downloaded here: http://www.geforcefaq.com/files/forceagp1xon.reg . Merge the file with your registry (download it to an empty folder and doubleclick it. You will then be asked if you want to add the regkeys, click yes/OK. You can safely delete the file when it's merged) and you should be set. If you need more help go to the GeForce FAQ, there's also a regfile to undo the changes, should you so desire.
    Don't worry about the difference in speed - it really is negligable. Your eyes won't notice it.

------------------
    Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    ---
    TBird 900@1020 (CM DP5-6H51)/ AOpen AK73Pro / Creative GeForce2 GTS 32MB @210/366 / 128MB Infineon PC133 CL2 / TerraTec DMX / IBM 75GXP 45GB / Hitachi DVD GD7500 / Plextor 8432T CDR-W
    If it ain't broke...

...make it go faster!!

Alright! If any of you happened to go into the support forum area you would probably see that my computer crashed and I was using my Dreamcast to type the message. Well WinME had some file error and would not work. Well I then re-installed WinME and now for some reason not a single game crashes with the mixed drivers I have. My computer is booting up a lot faster then before and the games actually work non-stop.

Well except for ST Voyager Elite Force Single Player. It froze on my in the menu. Q3 works perfectly and has given me about 30 extra fps.

So Thank You all for your help. I really appreciated it.
    Main Computer Specs:
    Asus P5E
    Seagate SATA2 250Gb
    eVGA 512Mb 8800GT

Thread Information