Whats the best way to config DVD for TV?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Whats the best way to config DVD for TV?

Hybrid View

Whats the best way to config DVD for TV?

Looking to get a DVD ROM but I want to be able to watch movies on my TV. I already have a good video card ATI Radeon 32ddr. But it does not have a TV out. I want to know how I can add a DVD and have it play on my TV. Tell me what to do please.

------------------
    Avoid being normal
    Avoid being normal

you'll either need to get another video card w/ tv-out, or a dvd decoder (which will come w/ tv and audio-out). i think decoders usually run around $70 seperate, or you can get a dvd kit which comes w/ the decoder.
    Dual XP-M 2400+ @ 2800+,MSI K7D Master,2x512 Crucial PC2100,AIW 9800

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=27592

Thanks for the input. What is a good decoder card to get. And do they work with any brand DVD ROM?

------------------
    Avoid being normal
    Avoid being normal

wish i could help w/ that one - i'v never used a decoder card. i've seeen some that have digital audio out, unfortunately i dont remember the company. i know creative has a dvd/decoder bundle, cant remember who else though...
    Dual XP-M 2400+ @ 2800+,MSI K7D Master,2x512 Crucial PC2100,AIW 9800

http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=27592

Many decoder cards are made by a company called Hollywood. In fact, they made the decoder cards included in the Creative Labs Encore series. To avoid compatibility headaches, I'd suggest buying the decoder card and the DVD-ROM as a kit.

I have a 2-year-old CL 5X Encore kit with a Dxr3 decoder card (made by Hollywood). I like it real well. The output from the regular video card is routed to the decoder card with a pass-thru cable, then your monitor is hooked up to the decoder card output VGA port. The decoder card also has S-video out and composite video out. Audio wise, the audio out from your DVD-ROM is hooked to the decoder card (it also has an extra connector for the audio out from your CD-ROM drive). Then the audio is passed on to your sound card.

Hope that helped.

Hollywood decoder cards work extremely well with Toshiba DVD drives. And Toshiba Drives work well for those of us with CDRW's.

Good Luck
    MB

I have an old creative decoder card. It works pretty well in full-screen, but overall, I haven't been all that impressed with it.

And yes- it will work with all DVD brands in your region

------------------
    Asus A7V
    Duron 650@850@1.80V
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

Thread Information