i740 locks up system,help!
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: i740 locks up system,help!

i740 locks up system,help!

Needed to free up a pci slot so I'm removing my pci banshee and put in an agp i740 8 megger.I also have a V2 and it worked fine with the banshee(my pc that is).Since I've installed the agp i740 I'm experiencing random freezes that I can't ctrl-alt- del out of, I have to hit the reset.This usually happens when the desktop starts to load or when I'm surfin the web,or just generally workin' on my pc.I use the V2 for all 3-d games.I have used various drivers from intel-no luck.I updated the chipset drivers from intel-still no luck.My system is-
    466 celery
    asus p2-99b zx chipset
    64 meg
    vortex 1 sound
    mitsumi 32x cd
    win98
    fujitsu 10 gig
    apollo 12 meg V2
    i740 8 meg agp(using banshee at the moment)
    aceropen 33.6 modem
    Any help appreciated,thanks.

try uninstalling all of the banshee drivers, and if that still doesnt work, then reinstall all of the video card drivers. if THAT doesn't work, try reinstalling windows. it's usually the best to reinstall windows when you add hardware. good luck!
    MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

Thanks coolguy867,I've tried all the driver things,still no luck.Do you mean reformat or just reinstall win98 ?I have to fix this soon as I'm trading my banshee for this card and the i740 is no good to me as it stands. I don't want to have to send the i740 back

try putting a fan on the heatsink of the i740, it might solve your porblem.

------------------
    Visit http://pub24.ezboard.com/bultrabytecomputingforum

Never mind the dog, beware of the owner.

HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
    OCN ICQ AL= 67864797
    HWC FORCE3D ICQ AL= 57497564
    OCN ICQ AL= 67864797

you should re-install windows98, if that STILL doesn't work, then at last resort should you re-format. of course, if you want to start totally new, then just re-format. you'll have to back up everything or redownload/reinstall everything, of course. try a reinstall, which should take about 45 minutes, you'll start with alot of the useless stuff in the windows folder cleaned out, and a fresh registry. good luck!
    MaH SyStEm:
    PIII 450, 128 RAM, i740 (the i740 was last year's best midrange 2d card, so ha!) voodoo2 sli, 4.8X toshiba DVD, 4x4x20 cd-rw

Will a reinstall overwrite my updated chipset drivers?

Thread Information