Video Capture Cards
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Video Capture Cards

Hybrid View

Video Capture Cards

I need to archive video files from a 1-chip dig video cam (high 8 output) to CD-ROM AVI (?)format. I assume that I need a capture card for decent quality. Anyone have any recs for formats and hardware? I need to play back the files full screen... I don't want to use DVD. The idea is that the files can be distributed and viewed on the average PC workstation using freeware players like MEdia Player.

------------------
    TRS-80
    9-Pin Dot Matrix
    Tandy Cassette I/O
    Cold cup of Folger's instant
    TRS-80
    9-Pin Dot Matrix
    Tandy Cassette I/O

Just get a TV tuner card with built in video capture. Mine, the Phoebe TV master, comes with the software you need to capture and encode video.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

I'm a bit puzzled. Dig video with Hi 8 out???

If your Camcorder is Digital it should be either D8 (digtal 8 same tape as 8 mm format) or DV (digital video). In either case it should have a Firewire/iLink port and an S Video out. Firewire PCI cards are coming down in price and you can pick one up from AUS$200 and are well worth it if you're into video editing. The S Video can be captured on most video capture cards with composite or S Video ports. However the difference between them is not comparable. Firewire is far superior, but do your homework first.

To archive your videos I would suggest either SVCD (super video compact disk) or DivX (MPEG 4). The former can be played on some standalone DVD players as well as a PC and the latter PC only.

A couple of sites are www.videoguys.com and www.digital-digest.com. Heaps of good info there.
    Cheers...

[This message has been edited by daylef (edited 02-09-2001).]

[This message has been edited by daylef (edited 02-09-2001).]
    I'd rather be GLIDING

Yeah... I don't understand yet *what* is on the tape. If I dock to the Firewire port on the camera ... I'm sure it's a digital live feed. But I thought it was going through a d/a converter for analog on tape. Might be wrong. Then would it go through the converter again to get digital out from tape playback to dump through the firewire port?

------------------
    TRS-80
    9-Pin Dot Matrix
    Tandy Cassette I/O
    TRS-80
    9-Pin Dot Matrix
    Tandy Cassette I/O

Digital video is just that. No analogue conversion. Firewire captures a digital stream at break neck speeds (typically 400 megabits/sec)and spools it via an editing package to your hard drive. Consequently that part has to be big and I mean big. My set up is 2 x 30 gig in a RAID 0 set up. Give the two sites a look it will answer a lot of questions.

Cheers
    I'd rather be GLIDING

Thanks... I'm there as we speak.

------------------
    TRS-80
    9-Pin Dot Matrix
    Tandy Cassette I/O
    TRS-80
    9-Pin Dot Matrix
    Tandy Cassette I/O