Creating Custom Video Drivers? Possible?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Creating Custom Video Drivers? Possible?

Hybrid View

Creating Custom Video Drivers? Possible?

My delima is this, Laptop with 3 possible drivers:
    Win 98 - Full 3d acceleration, AGP support
    WinNT - No AGP and Software 3d Support
    Win2000 - Stable and like WinNT's, but signed for W2K

I have this game Delta Force 2 & 3, love it, couldn't play it on Win98, problem with multi-texturing, no problem in W2K. But again W2K not hardware accelleration.

Not much of a problem, except I want to run DF3, which requires Hardware support. The Virge MX+ is accelerated, so it should work, but the drivers do not support it.

To stop this story:
    can I take the hardware support from Win98's drivers and put it in the Win2k's drivers, and have the best of both worlds? Or is this a pipe dream, and that is that.

The other solution suggested is a Dual boot, but the problem is not with Windows, but the drivers for each version.

Thanks for any help or registry tweaks or other words of encouragment.

AMD64 3200, 1 Gb Ram, ATI 9800xt(256)
    AMD 2700+, 1Gb Ram, Geforce4600 VIVO
    AMD 2000+, 1 1/8Gb Ram, ATI 8500 (128)
    AMD 1800+, 1Gb Ram, ATI 9600 pro(128)
    Intel 1.6Ghz (478), 768Mb Ram, 8500 (128)

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    Ouch. I think pipe dream. But hey, you could be a genius and surprise us all, let us know if you create something fantastic .

I have heard of people combining parts of different driver releases for one OS, but never combining different drivers for different OS's. That would probably impress the hell out of Microshaft.

------------------
    Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

I have already started, so far. I am able to load the NT's TV Out utility with the 2k's signed drivers.

The problem is happening with the 98 drivers, 2k will not even look at them.

I hope to open the actual drivers today and decompile just to check for a "version" check line or something.

Just hoping someone would read this & say, Hey I already did that and now the Virge is better than the GTS 64Mb card
    AMD64 3200, 1 Gb Ram, ATI 9800xt(256)
    AMD 2700+, 1Gb Ram, Geforce4600 VIVO
    AMD 2000+, 1 1/8Gb Ram, ATI 8500 (128)
    AMD 1800+, 1Gb Ram, ATI 9600 pro(128)
    Intel 1.6Ghz (478), 768Mb Ram, 8500 (128)

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    win2k is built off the NT kernel... so there will be far fewer compatibility problems. Some drivers for some peripherals have unified NT/2000 drivers, and many programs written for NT work great on 2000.

95/98/ME are based on a different kernel, so you'll have a hell of a time making anything work there.

------------------
    Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Thread Information