Running two video cards?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Running two video cards?

Running two video cards?

I have a PC-Chips mobo with Nvidia/Aladdin TNT2 video built onboard. The manual describes it as AGP although it's physically on the m/board; in fact the m/board has no AGP socket at all. Can I plug in a PCI video card and run both at the same time connecting them to separate monitors? Btw I'm running Win98SE + Win2000 dual boot. Thanks.

I don't think so. There is probably a jumper on the motherboard which enables/disables the onboard video.

You might be able to- a friend of mine said he has dual monitors running an AGP and PCI card, and that windows is pretty smart about it! He's like- "After I'd done it, I couldn't believe I hadn't done it earlier" I'm trying to get an old ATI all in wonder PCI card to run a 2nd monitor & double as a TV They're running about $15-20 on ebay (hey, don't bid on the one ending tomorrow- that's mine! heh)

------------------
    Asus A7V
    Duron 650@850@1.80V
    Pentium IV 2.4C Northwood- M0 stepping @ 3.2GHz HT
    Air Cooled w/ SP-94 heatpipe & 92mm Vantex Tornado at 45C
    4x256=1gb dual-channel 2-3-3-6 OCZ PC800DRAM @ 890MHz 3-4-4-8
    MSI Neo2-PLS w/I865PE & SATA @ 4x267=1068MHz
    BFG GeForceFX 5900@485/967MHz = 6284 3DMark2003s; dual-head 21" CRT & 19" LCD

You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
    I have a friend that ran the integrated video in a Compaq plus a PCI ATi card, successfully. Pretty cool with the two monitors.

So yes, I think you can do it.

------------------
    Those who fear the facts will forever try to discredit the fact finders. - Daniel C. Dennett
    Off Topic Central - Owned and Operated by HWC members

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.

Interestingly this m/board has jumpers to disable sound, modem and NIC but does not have one for the onboard video. Which makes me think the onboard video can co-exist with a PCI video card - if don't want it just leave it running without a monitor, no need to disable. Well... I hope that's the case.

I think it will be possible for you. Although Windows 98 does have settings for a single adapter for video, it does not mean that there will be no output from a second video, it may just mean that you won't get all the performance out of the secondary card. sounds like a good idea for a tv. good luck!
    i'm pretty sure the software from the ati aiw card will allow you to make seperate settings specifically for that card and not interfere with the other.
    Intel Pentium 150mhz and 200 mhz
    K6-2 400mhz
    K6-2+ 500mhz
    Coming soon: Athlon 750mhz

Thread Information