Capture video from VHS
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Capture video from VHS

Capture video from VHS

Hi all!
    I've been reading up a bit about different video cards, and capture cards.
    The ATI Radeon and the Matrox Marvel G400-TV sounds nice.

I need a card that will allow me to capture from VHS at the best possible quality.

Could someone suggest to me what to choose?

Thanks in advance :-)

------------------
    Regards,
    Fredrik Loevik
    Regards,
    Fredrik Loevik

I haven't tried the Radeon for video capture, but we've got a G400 TV for video editing at school, and it can capture from VHS without loss of quality, especially with "broadcast" settings, and gives an incredibly neat picture. But wait for some other opinions, since many people on this board are using a Radeon, and they could tell about their experiences...

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

Would it perhaps be smarter for me to wait for the new card from Matrox?
    The Marvel G450 eTV seems nice...

------------------
    Regards,
    Fredrik Loevik
    Regards,
    Fredrik Loevik

If you have rather large videos to transfer, I suggest you to wait for the 450, since it can encode in MPEG-2, which takes less space than MJPEG from the G400. Maximum video quality/CD sound quality settings can easily take 1 GB of hard disk space for 7-8 minutes of video on the G400 on MJPEG codec.

Core i7 2600K @ 4GHz | Noctua NH-C12P SE14 | ASUS Maximus IV GENE-Z | 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600 CL9 | Gigabyte GTX 670 OC 2GB | 256GB Crucial m4 | 2TB WD Green | Samsung DVD±RW | Seasonic X 460w Fanless | Fractal Design Define Mini | Windows 7 Ultimate | Dell 2209WA @ 75Hz

Join the HwC Folding@Home team!

What are some cards/components that are just for transferring video from a VHS to PC?

Originally posted by equinoxe3d:
    If you have rather large videos to transfer, I suggest you to wait for the 450, since it can encode in MPEG-2, which takes less space than MJPEG from the G400. Maximum video quality/CD sound quality settings can easily take 1 GB of hard disk space for 7-8 minutes of video on the G400 on MJPEG codec.

The harddrive usage isn't really a problem. The encoded data will be converted, and burned as VCD.
    I think I'll just get the G400 card for starters.

And for Jim Morrison; Have a look at the ATI TV Wonder card at http://www.ati.com/uk/Pages/products...der/index.html

------------------
    Regards,
    Fredrik Loevik
    Regards,
    Fredrik Loevik

Thanks!

Thread Information