New 3dfx voodoo5 drivers beta released.
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: New 3dfx voodoo5 drivers beta released.

New 3dfx voodoo5 drivers beta released.

Go get them and try it if you want. http://212.250.187.36/drivers4.html

for win9x and Me

------------------
    P3 800 133mhz
    Asus CUSL2-C 128mb 133
    15.3 Maxtor 7200 ATA100
    DVD 5X Samsung
    Voodoo5 Agp
    Sb live Value
    Win98se
    Woman can`t live with them can`t shoot them.
    Asus P5Q
    Intel core 2 Duo 3ghz 1333 fsb 6mb L2 cache
    OCZ Gold XTC 4GB DDR2-1066
    Asus ati3870 512mb pci express 16
    80Gig Hd Sata
    Vista Home premium

Yeah... who said the support is dead

------------------
    The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works correctly.

It`s just that it is beta and i don`t really trust beta. remember when dx8 beta came out? all the trouble we had lol
    Maybe they are good i will wait till more use them.

------------------
    P3 800 133mhz
    Asus CUSL2-C 128mb 133
    15.3 Maxtor 7200 ATA100
    DVD 5X Samsung
    Voodoo5 Agp
    Sb live Value
    Win98se
    Asus P5Q
    80Gig Hd Sata
    Vista Home premium

Well I have just tested them and they suck, not in perfromances (they are the same in QIII and 3DMARK) but 3D image quality is mesedup.

So after nVIDA take over 3DFX somehow misteriusly drivers for lates 3DFX products have become unstabile and crapy, something that is unkonwn to 3DFX users, and very much common thing with nVIDA users.

So much about nVIDIA, thoug these drivers are not supported by anyone deffinetly not by nVIDIA but still makes you wonder.

Latest V3 drivers are crapy and this BETA ruins V5 image quality .

------------------
    The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works correctly.

oh well i know now that i won`t even try them. thx miha76 for the test.

------------------
    P3 800 133mhz
    Asus CUSL2-C 128mb 133
    15.3 Maxtor 7200 ATA100
    DVD 5X Samsung
    Voodoo5 Agp
    Sb live Value
    Win98se
    Asus P5Q
    80Gig Hd Sata
    Vista Home premium

I tried the new beta Voodoo4/5 drivers for Windows9x and they seem to run pretty normal. The gamma in Quake3 was a little off, thats all. Easy to correct. The main thing is what they did to the HSR (hidden surface removal). Well I run a Voodoo3 and they really took a bad flicker and Q3 was so jumpy that it was impossible to play. Well they smoothed it out a bit and minimises the flicker quite a bit. Befor the flickers was reported to be much less on the Voodoo5s. It runs very smooth at 800x600 with very small flickers in some screans (map locations), but I jumped from 64-78FPS at 800x600 with MAX EVERYTHING. That's almost a 20% boost. I got over 70 at 1024x768 and it was still very smooth, but the image seemed strange. It was almost like motion blur was added. The flicker was a bit worse, but still much better then the 1.04.01beta drivers (I think these are listed as 1.07).

Overall I thought the image quality was a little better. Damb I wish they could keep working on these drivers some more. The HSR was a great jump in driver technology, but was only really implimented in Quake3 and was never finished. They are saying that this driver release is the last as the X-3DFX team must move on. NVidia really sucks. It almost makes it worth NO buying any of their products EVER for destoying 3DFX!!! Of coarse the way things are going NVidia will wipe out the rest of the market and I wont have a choice. My Voodoo3 is one of the greatest cards ever and I was more that pleased with its performance and image quality.

I just wish that 3DFX had stuck more to the original design ideas of the Voodoo3 and not gone the route of the VSA-100. They should have taken the Voodoo3 and doubled the memory, added 32bit color, used DDR memory and doubled or quadrupled the number of pipelines (leaving the 2 textuyres pure pipeline of the Voodoo3). They should have concentrated on a suingle chip option and .18 micron. Think of a Voodoo3 running at 200Mhz core with 32MB of 400Mhz DDR memory with just two pipelines. It would smoked!

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

You got that right Todd a

------------------
    P3 800 133mhz
    Asus CUSL2-C 128mb 133
    15.3 Maxtor 7200 ATA100
    DVD 5X Samsung
    Voodoo5 Agp
    Sb live Value
    Win98se
    Asus P5Q
    80Gig Hd Sata
    Vista Home premium

I still haven't got rid of my V3 yet. It never lets me down, though I fear the lure of an MX or GTS is almost too much to bear.

Right now though, I still can play any game without a hitch using the solid and reliable official drivers, though that is bound to change with no more official driver support.

The same can't be said one of my friends running a V5. I notice most of the retail shops have withdrawn Voodoo products or slashed the prices. I guess that demonstrates nVidia's interest in the Voodoo name...
    The Captain

Shuttle XPC Neon (SB51G)
    Intel P4 3.06Ghz D1 Stepping
    1GB Geil PC3200
    Sapphire Radeon 9600XT @ 532/325
    Creative Soundblaster Audigy2 Player
    Wester Digital Caviar SE x2 (80GB / 120GB)

Naw, the MX is not a lure. It performs about 50% faster in some games (not Descent3 or Nascar3 or even UT), but the image quality is not there. I don't know if it is the monitor I use or not, but I have not been impressed with Nvidias card all that much.. They do run Quake3 and most OpenGL games much faster, but that is about it. Now the GTS does have the horsepower to run about twice as fast and really starts to put the Voodoo3 to shame and the prices are coming down. I think I will likely wait though for this fall. The NV20 and some other cards will be much batter and Nvidia will release an MX version of the NV20 that people can afford. From what I have heard the NV20 will be very expensive until then (like $400-600). This fall they will do a die shrink and a slight redesign and the prices will drop considerably. Plus they are planning on an MX version about the same time.

Also I have no money right now. I work in the automotive manufacturing field and have been laid off about every other week for the last two months (on a week, off a week). Between that, the kids and Christmas, my computer funds are a little low, plus I need a new PS, a chipset fan (those Abit fans suck, 4 months and it's grinding already), a grill for the side blowhole and a window and neon if I can manage it Some extra memory might not be too bad at the prices they are running. Rounded cables and some paint and I'll be good to go. The graphics card is somewhere in the middle of that list.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Thread Information