DX8/Graphics Problems?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: DX8/Graphics Problems?

DX8/Graphics Problems?

I keep getting a fatal execption when I try to run games and the graphics tests in DirectX 8.0
    The fatal exception I get when testing DirectDraw etc in DX8 and when playing games such as Airfix DogFighter, Fifa 2001 etc is:

0028 C0006EB2 in VXD VMM(01) + 00005EB2

When I get this error message I have to restart the computer, otherwise it crashes.

My system spec is as follows:

PIII - 450
    64 mb ram
    8gb HDD
    16mb nvidia riva tnt graphics card
    Pioneer DVD rom drive
    Win 98 se
    Micro-star m/b with VIA APPOLLO PRO PLUS (692/596) Chipset

Can anyone tell me what this fatal exception means and whether the problem lies with DX8, the graphics card, system spec, or anything else.
    Any help is gratefully accepted.

------------------
    I use to be indecisive but now I'm not so sure.

You might want to try the VXDFix.
    Good luck!

------------------
    It never rains but it pours...

Its not a good idea to instal the latest DX whenever it comes out it always causes problems with your current games unless you have something that actualy uses it. Unless you have a game that came with DX8 get rid of it and use DX7, there is no point in upgrading because none of your previous games can use it anyways. Wait till you have to upgrade not before. Need I point of the problem with FFVII and DX6? I hope not.

------------------
    You should have killed me when you had the chance.
    Your mistake.
    You should have killed me when you had the chance.
    Your mistake.

JDax

How can I remove DX8 with no uninstall?
    Short of reinstalling Win 98 is there any way.

------------------

I've heard of a DX uninstaller, but I've never tried it. I'm sure I downloaded it once, but it's mysteriously vanished. Try doing a search.

Here is the DX uninstaller : http://www.tweaktown.com/downloads/dxun.zip
    They say that it can uninstall DX 8. But Im not sure whether it does it cleanly.
    I think the DX uninstaller leaves some DX files , (Ive tried it once but it did leave some files). Go to DxDiag.exe to see whether it has removed all the files ,if not then you can manually delete the files since all the files are listed there.
    See whether you have the beta release, because it had some issues. If your is beta Id recommend to get the final version from Microsoft DX site.

1. AMD AXP 2600+ @ 2.34Ghz (167x14) Cooled with CoolerMaster Aero7+ / Asus A7V8X-X (KT400) / 1GB 333MHz RAM / Maxtor 120Gb DMAX Plus 9 / GeCube Radeon 9600Pro / PixelView PlayTV Pro / Acer 21 Monitor / SB Live! / NEC ND-2500A 8x DVDRW / Sony CRX-320EE Combo Drive

2. AMD AXP 1600+ (Stock cooler) / MSI K7T Turbo2 / 512Mb 133MHz RAM / Maxtor 80Gb DMAX Plus 9 / Gigabyte Radeon 9200 / Philips 17 Monitor / Sony CRX 160 CDRW / Asus E616 16x DVD

3. IBM 300PL PIII

Thanks for all the advice people.
    It appears I have the latest DX version Hasitha.
    I've now found out that nvidia tnt/tnt2 cards suffer from the fatal error problem I mentioned initially.
    I reduced hardware acceleration but this prevented me from running DirectX drivers.
    So as a last resort I reduced AGP Aperture size in the Bios to 8M. This appears to have done the trick.
    Does anyone know what the AGP Aperture does exactly, and why when I increase this to 16M, 32M, 64M the fatal exception reoccurs?
    Would more system RAM help? Say another 64M.

------------------

Thread Information