Kyro? Anyone have one of these cards?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Kyro? Anyone have one of these cards?

Kyro? Anyone have one of these cards?

PowerColor Evil KYRO
    InnoVision Inno3d KYRO 2000
    Videologic Vivid

If you have anyone of these cards how do you like it? How well do the drivers support your games?

Hopping to hear some good stuff, thanks!

------------------
    AMD-K6-2 500Mhz

128MB RAM

27gig Ultra ATA 66 7200 RPM HD

32MB ASUS V3800 TNT2 vedio card

Creative Soundblaster AWE64 sound card

I am waiting PowerColor Evil KYRO 64MB and it should be here and day.

I wile deffinetly post my expiriences.

And I have few intresting systems for testing.

K6-3 400@450 DFI P5BV3+ MVP3
    Athlon Classic 750@750 Epox 7KXA KX133
    Thunderbird 700@850 MSI K7Pro AMD 751
    Duron 600@600 DFI AK74 KT133.

So I while definetly see the stability and compatibility with various chipsets.

Can`t wait to hold my hands on that Kyro thing.

------------------
    The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works corectly.

I'm gonna order one any day to replace my geforce MX any day...
    ra-m

------------------
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...

From what I have seen on reveiws they seem to have good drivers and great image quality. They perform about on par with a GeFroce2 MX, but do pretty good at 32 bit and higher resolutions. They also run pretty cool.

I am actually curious about the KyroII. The specs are hitting the net and they look to go to 4 pipelines and up the clock speed to 166Mhz. They also are adding DDR memory. It should be out in about 3-6 months and is rumoured to have 64 and 128MB standard.

------------------
    The COMPUTER is your FRIEND!
    Happiness is manditory.
    AMD Phenom II x4 945 3Ghz | ASUS M4A77TD | 2X WD 1TB SATA 2 hard drive | 2x2GB Corsair XMS3 | nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS | ATI TV Wonder Theater Pro 550 | Antec P-160 case | Antec 650w Earth Watts | LG Blu-ray Super Drive | LG DVD RW | Windows 7 Pro

Originally posted by miha76:

K6-3 400@450 DFI P5BV3+ MVP3
    Athlon Classic 750@750 Epox 7KXA KX133
    Thunderbird 700@850 MSI K7Pro AMD 751
    Duron 600@600 DFI AK74 KT133.

Must be nice having 4 systems to play with I can't ever talk the wife into letting me build a second

------------------
    Tyan Trinity 400, Rev. 4, BIOS 1.07
    FC-PGA 500E @ 700(5 X 140 @ 1.7V)
    MS 6905 Rev. 2 Master Slocket
    Global Win FKP-32
    128MB Micron PC140, Cas3 Turbo
    Elsa Gladiac 32MB GF2 GTS
    15.3GB DiamondMax +40, ATA66, 7200rpm HDD
    KDS AV-7T

How much do those Kyros cost and from whence can one be obtained (where can I get one) not that I actually will, I am happy with my GFDDR, but it's nice to know these things so I can buy non-NVidia and support the underdog next time I upgrade.

Seems strange to say that. NVidia WERE the underdog not so long ago! I wonder if I'll ever say the same thing of AMD.

------------------
    AHHH, I think my computer's got a Virus!

Oh no, that's Windows 98

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

They are about 115 dollars, go to pricewatch.com and search for kyro, I'm going to buy mine from the monarch one.
    -ram

------------------

according to one review i read there a few steps below the gf but not far behind for the money it definitly sounds like a better deal pricewise.

thats about what I saw Rangeral, still by the time I feel the need to upgrade my GFDDR we'll be on Kyro 2 or even 3 so who knows eh?

------------------

Oh no, that's Windows 98

Oh no, that's Windows XP

Chimaera: Twin Athlon MP 1900+ @ 1824Mhz, GeForce 3 TI500, 512Megs Crucial RegECC, 100GB Total HDD, SuSE Linux 7.3 + Windoze XP Pro

Well final my Kyro card is here.

I have just installed the card in my Tbird700@850 with old MSIK7Pro MB with AMD751 chipset, instead of V5.
    Instalation whent without any problems.
    Graphic cards sims to be incompatibile with Irongate SuperBypass option, but that is normal thing, cous only 3DFX cards can handle SB becous they don`t use AGP texturing.

First I have tried QIII v1.17 and I can say excelent for card that runs only @125MHZ

1024x768x16 textures maximum high quality 58,8FPS

1024x768x32 texture @ maximum 50.8FPS.

Quality of 3D image is absolutly amazing.
    with trilinear filtering Kyro looses oround 40% of perfromances.

After QIII I had oppinion that card is great but not for very demanding freaks that require 100FPS in QIII.

Second game that I have tried is Microprose Grandprix 3. perfromances are very very bad, so bad that game is unplayable in 3D.

Third game is ColinMcRae Rally 2. Game runs fine and nothing spectacular about it.

Then I have tried NFS5 and it seems slow comparing to V5. with bad implementig of environment textures.

Finaly I have tried Baldurs Gate 2 expecting to se great image quality.
    Image quality is fine but perfromances are very pour.

Conclusion after first try and without clean install of windows is so so.

Card is good with lots of potential, but is not speedy as I expected, games really do look slow compareing to V5, maybe even slow compareing with V3 and TNT2U, except in QIII

Now I have card for only two houers I while do clean install of windows, and see how it goes.

2D and 3D image quality is great, better then V5, much better then Geforce, like Matrox I would say.

Honestly I do think that power gamer on the buget should buy Geforce MX, but this is just first impresion, I hope to see better perfromances after proper installation, and after I try the card in VIA chipset MB.

And I am unable to finish 3DMark.

------------------
    The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works correctly.

Post the results of the other tests too mk?
    "No doubt the truth, as usual, would be somewhere between the extremes" -Arthur C Clarke

Well there is not much to say about this Kyro card, so I while say few things that is hard to find for posible user.

1. Card comes with 7ns memory, It is cool, and u can manualy setup AGP mode 2x or 4x, and for now there is no way how to overclock this thing.

2. Card is fully compatibile with AMD Irongate chipset and VIA chipsets, absolutly no problems.

3. If anyone buys this card (like me) it while be rewarded with absolutly outstanding 3D image quality, and 2D is deffinetly better then on Geforce or Voodoo series, it is on pair with ATI and Matrox in 2D and absolutly the king of 3D image quality.

4. Driver suppor comes only from PowerVR, and for know there is only one version of drivers.

I have tried few games with Kyro and I while be short.

All games played in 1024x768x32

NFS5 playable but for moust of the players only @800x600x16 game runs great.

DeuxEx perfectly playable only for freaks that require 60FPS+ is maybe slow.

Cataclysm (Homeworld part two) it looks better and it runs better then on my V5

Sports Car GT, with maximum detail games is perfectly smouth for everyone, no chopynes at all.

Nocturne this is probobly best game for Kyro card becouse loading time is so short with my Kyro 64MB and ofcorse graphic is outstanding.

Testdrive 5 this is the game that come with my Kyro card and runs great, some problems with 32bit colour but @ 16bit looks and runs great.

KingPin just like Nocturno loading time is shorter with Kyro then with my V5, game is perfectly playable @ 1024x768x32 with maximum details.

Grand Prix 3 from microprose is definetly unplayable with Kyro card in any 3D mode

BaldursGate II is kinda slow and it can be played with good perfromances only with 16bit textures. graphic is outstanding but game is slow.

With trying so many games I tried to find incompatibility problems with different game engines, and I have failed, thoug GP3 is so slow that is deffinetly unplayable, and during graphic calibration proces I had total crash of picture just some colorfull screens.

3D mark runs great now, and in standard benchmark setup score is 3752, and in 32bit 3282.

All games I have tried on MSI K7Pro Tbird 850, and on Epox 7KXA Classic Athlon 750, and results are very much the same.

First I have begun to think how Kyro hase some problems with OpenGL, then NFS5 proved me wrong (and QIII), so I don`t know what to say, games run great but som of them are slightly slow.

GP3 is unplayable, and NFS5 is slow all other games including glide based like DeuxEx or Unreal serial are runing fine for 90% of the gamers and that means 45FPS or higher with outstandig graphic.
    BTW DeuxEx runs faster then on GeForce MX cards.

So who should buy this card?

Firs someone who does not like nVIDIA (like me), or enthusiast who would like to try this great product that is in babie stage.

For all gamers that seek for perfromances (60FPS or higher and high resolution) Kyro is not your choice deffinely not now, but if you are becomeing chasual gamer like me then I can say do buy Kyro and support the underdog that while enable new graphic revolution and great and cheap products for all.

Finaly I while repleace V5 in my main PC and stick to Kyro, becous this graphic card deffinetly deservs that, and do have in mind tha this babie runs only @ 125MHZ and uses only SDRAM, and GeForce 2 series beguns @ 166MHZ.

Now if I find some time I while try Kyro in K6-III to see how good would be for SS7 users.

I am sure that I while become Kyroidiot if this series of graphic cards continues to live, it is absolutly outstanding, though, when I first time tried it I was kinda dissappointed.

------------------
    The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works correctly.

Could you try running Dagoth Moor Zoological Gardens (sp?) or some other game/demo that's used for "TnL-testing".

IE I wanna know how the card can handle lotsa polys. If you have 3DSMAX lying around even better!
    "No doubt the truth, as usual, would be somewhere between the extremes" -Arthur C Clarke

Q: FS

How would you use 3DSMax to test the card.
    3D Studio is not exactly my working environment, I can do few things but I am far away from knowing how to use 3DSMAX

Anyway Kyro hase some serious problems in implementation of OpenGL and Dircet3D in 3DSMAX R3, so only option is software HEIDI drivers, and rotating wireframes of complicated objects is very slow.

Finaly Kyro is product for gamers, and it uses inteligent tricks to cach up nVIDIAs raw power.

------------------

If you can only use heidi then don't bother, it's fully software drawing.

In 3DSMAX I'd try for example making a VERY detailed sphere (like 100 000 - 1 000 000 polygons) and rotate it and measure fps. Kinetix also has a ready benchmarking suite available for 3DSMAX.

Thread Information