VIA help requested, Knowledgable people only =)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: VIA help requested, Knowledgable people only =)

VIA help requested, Knowledgable people only =)

I'm sure you have read several threads regarding ATI radeon not being compatabile with an MVP3 chipset. This is not the case, I have worked with the ATI tech support team and they said there is No known issues between the 2 peicies of hardware.

After some time here is what i discovered. There is an issue between the ATI gart\Radeon which is installed with the drivers and the MVP3. I've come to figure this out as well, not installing the via gart will result in the Radeon working perfectly fine. If i try to install the via gart in safe mode or normal mode (with the ati gart disabled or even enabled doesnt help) i will get a windows protection error. The problem ins't the viagart.vxd because deleting this file and rebooting will still result in the same problem. The only way to get rid of the error is to go back and unistall the agp patch using the install program. So this leads me to believe the problem ins't the viagart.vxd, rather a registry key, or another file that is installed that i am not aware of. My question is this what other files are modified or installed during the VIA AGP PATCH? Knowing this i will be able to figure out where the conflict lies.

Though i am relativley happy using my radeon with the ati gart, it doesn't support texture acceleration so performance is slightly limited. I'd much pefer to be able to use this card along with the via gart. I have tried to contact VIA , but have been unsuccesful in even getting a response to my inquiry. Ati tech support told me to contact via. I'd appreciate any help anyone can provide.

Im using the VA 503+, amd K3+ 450@600 MHZ
    (also tried with a standard k2 500), soundblaster live x gamer 5.1, 128 megs
    pc 100 cas 2 ram

Solren:
    I'll tell you, I runt he same board with a mobile chip and installed the patches for my TNT2 AGP and continually got .vxd errors. I didn't realize the problem until I switch to a Geforce2 DDR card and reinstalled the patch. Same problem. Then I did a clean reinstall of Win 98 and forgot to put in the patch. No errors! I found the latest 4 in 1 drivers on here and decided to install them. Same problems all over. Tried both cards and the same thing. Reinstalled windows again with out the patch and no problems. Even the TNT2 ran fine without any of the problems that FIC or VIA claimed the patch would fix!
    MORAL: Try it yourself before you beleive the chipset and mainboard people...it will save you a headache.

------------------
    "Experience is what you get
    when you don't get what you
    want"
    "Experience is what you get
    when you don't get what you
    want"

I don't necessarily think the viagart.vxd is causing the conflict, as deleting it doesn't solve the protection error. I think it has to be a registry setting, or another file that is installed with the agp patch.

Thread Information