GeForce 2MX or GeForce 256
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: GeForce 2MX or GeForce 256

GeForce 2MX or GeForce 256

I'm sending back my dead GeForce 256. I dont' know if I'll get a replacment or refund. If it's a refund, which card would be better? I have a 15" mon, SY 6VBA 133 m/b, PIII 650e@866, and 128M PC133. We play Alice, Doom2, Starcraft, and I plan on getting Quake and a few other games. Probably won't play anything higher than 1024x768. The kids love Alice on my old TNT card. I can't wait to get the new (working) card. The GeForce 2MX and the GeForce 256 cost about the same so which is better?

------------------
    PIII 650e@866
    Learn from the mistakes of others.
    You can't live long enough to make them all yourself

GeForce 2 MX

same or slightly better perfromances, @ lower power comsumption.

Personely I would give a chance to Evil Kyro, @ 1024x768x32 it is faster then GeForce 2 MX, and in future perfromances while only be better and better.

Kyro is graphic card for the upcoming 32bit feature.

------------------
    The worst system is not the one that has slowest QIII frame rate, but one that not works corectly.

i would go for the geforce 256 if it was a ddr card. the ddr really makes the card a bunch faster when you go to the detailed scenes, and with the higher resoulutions/ color depth. but then you have that 15 inch moniter, i would look into replacing that before the video card if you could

------------------
    Visit my website!
    look for me on AIM as gosanjose or on ICQ as #46997155

At low res, the MX would definitely be faster.

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

You can get DDR MX boards too. The GeForce2 MX should be pretty overclockable too.

Yes, you can get ddr mx's. But they are actually slower than the regular ones. They cut the memory bus in half on those models... and it just doesn't quite equal out.

The Kyro is an amazing chip. I just wish it was a little more "meaty." But it does currently beat the mx at 1024 x 768 x 32, but I would hold off on its first incarnation.

Deanril Guest
    I think we all know my opinion,but Ill state it again GeForce DDR all the way!!

Check out my thread here http://discussions.hardwarecentral.c...ML/012136.html It is the UNDISPUTED $97 champ!!

GeForce MX 2 beat it in low res,hmmm

So, let see if I understand this.
    1) The GF2MX requires less power than the GF256 or GFDDR?
    2) Speed rankings at low res are- GFDDR,GF2MX,GF2MXw/DDR,GF256?
    3)The GFDDR will do even better at high res?

Does this sum it up?

------------------
    PIII 650e@866

Deanril Guest
    I run a Geforce DDR in a duron 900 with a generic 250 watt powersupply,on my friends rig,it not THAT much power,but yes more than the Mx.That Duron sucks probably twice what your cpu does

The MX DDR is a sales pitch thing,I believe the SDR MX has 128bit memory while the DDR has 64bit,DDR is faster but not at 64bit,so its like a tie,again sales thingy,you know" WOW DDR RAM"!!

[This message has been edited by Deanril (edited 01-10-2001).]

Deanril Guest
    Yes High/Low and in between all,the GeForce DDR wins,its the best buy.

You may buy a new monitor,hell I know I can find you a decent 19" for $250 easy,flat for around $300,so dont rule out high res.

I dont want to insult you,but I find it to be somewhat disturbing to me,how alot of people have this laundry list of how much HotRod hardware they have in their computer and at the bottom of the list you see 15" or 17" inch monitor.

In order to fully enjoy a great video card one must have a decent,and decent size monitor,what do you stare at when your on the computer????????

Sounds good too me

Also, I took the metal bracket off the card(dead one),to see if the bracket was getting in the way of it seating correctly. Found the problem! No, it still beeps like h#*@ But...now I know why. It has a toasted circut. #C157 to be exact. Not easy to see. Just happened to look right at it when I was putting back on the bracket.

Thanks to everyone for the help

------------------
    PIII 650e@866

GeForce DDR in my opinion, all of the test i've seen show this to be the faster card between the two. I use a 250 watt power supply and i have a K6 III 450@500, a CD rom, a CD writer, two hard drives, internal 56K modem, ethernet card(w/external cable modem), and a Asus V6800 GeForce 256 DDR deluxe, and i've never had a power supply problem and never had a crash due to my GeForce. Get the Asus V6800, very good card, very fast, and reliable. Plus it has T.V out and in's(S-video and composite) and the picture is very good, plus it comes with the Asus 3D glasses which are wild, even though i haven't used them in five months. If you're going to get a GeForce 2 go all the way and get a GTS/Ultra, skip the MX.

By the way, for a monitor buy a Sony, they're the best in my opinion.

Thread Information