DVD Video Display
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: DVD Video Display

DVD Video Display

I have a toshiba dvd/cdrw drive. My problem is that DVD's are very choppy...all the people look like robots.
    help?

Are you using a software decoder or hardware decoder card? If it is software, make you your DMA is enabled for your drive. Also what are your specs?
    Asus P9X79-Deluxe, Intel i7 3930k @ 4.2Ghz, 16gb DDR3-1600 Kingston HyperX Memory, Coolermaster Storm Trooper case, Corsair AX850 psu, Zotac 970 GTX 4gB SLI, Corsair Model H100 w/c, Samsung 840 Pro 512gB SSD, Asus Blu-ray Writer 12x, Windows7 Pro x64

MSI GS Series GS60 Ghost-003 Gaming Notebook 15.6", Intel Core i7-4700HQ 2.40GHz, 16GB Memory 1TB HDD 128GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 2GB, 4.36 lbs.

If you use a software player to play dvd's on your pc, then ya gonna need a pretty nippy cpu to get smooth visuals.
    If you have a decent vid card, then that can sometimes help out. Mainly Geforces or ATI cards.
    You need to try a few different types of software players. people have different results with different players.
    A lot of folk like PowerDVD, but WinDVD works best for me, cos it supports the hardware assist that my Geforce gives. (forgot the proper name for it.

Try here: www.7thzone.com

You can find different players here to sample on a trial basis. Plus lots of advice for playing dvd on a PC.

BTW: if you have a low end PC (vid card and cpu) then you could get a hardware player (Hollywood+) plug-in pci card that does all the work and doesnt depend on what cpu or vid card you have. They are not that pricey nowadays.

------------------
    P3 800e @ 1 Gig with Alpha PEP66 (YS-Tech fan: bloody noisy)
    BF6 Mobo
    Geforce2 GTS
    256M PC133 Crucial
    TurtleBeach Santa Cruz
    Iiyama VisionMaster Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

I have a toshiba dvd drive, using powerdvd software.

What processor do you have? If you are using PowerDVD then most likely you are using software decoding which its very processor intensive. I think that most people reccomend having at least a 300mhz (something like that, I could be a bit off) but frankly the higher the better. I use WinDVD with software decoding on a PIII 600 and it works pretty well. Also make sure that you are not running anything in the background as even pretty memory light programs can affect your playback. Side note, what version of WinDVD are you using Gasman. I'm looking to upgrade and I need some feelings on the newer versions.

------------------
    www.instinctdesign.com
    www.instinctdesign.com newly updated!

Thread Information