Overclocking a video card (how do you do it)
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: Overclocking a video card (how do you do it)

Overclocking a video card (how do you do it)

Could someone please explain to me how you overclock a video card? I am aware of overclocking CPU's simply by toying with their frequency/multipliers to make them run faster. How is this accomplished with a video card?

Thanks

Don
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    XP 2200+ TBred
    1GB Samsung PC2700
    74GB Raptor 10k RPM SATA
    Pioneer DVR108 DVD Burner
    Sapphire 9800Pro
    Soundstorm Audio
    17" Viewsonic A75s

http://www.hardocp.com/articles/video/oc/
    Thats a really good article to get you started. What kind of vid card do you have?
    -ram

------------------
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..
    Yeah... bout' the only thing you wouldn't want to overclock, would be your clock...
    Unless you just want to be early all the time..

Chem,

I saw that you where also posting on getting a new video card. I mentioned the LeadTek. They have drivers that come with overclocking software. It's just as simple as sliding little tools to overclock your card. I haven't done it, but I know that the LeadTek has the ability to do so. Again, hope this helps you make your decision.
    "Where is the ANY key?"

Basically, overclocking your graphics card means increasing the core and memory speeds in *small* increments. Overclocking CPU's is often done in 20mhz or more "jumps" whereas you shoud really only overclock your Graphics card 1-2mhz at a time. Software such as the coolobits registry hack for Nvidia cards or Powerstrip is used to increase the core/memory past the stock (original) speeds. When overclocked too much, a graphics card will start to project specks of with or garbled texture (artifacts) or might just hang your computer. If this happens, most graphics card are very forgiving and after a few minutes to cool down, you just boot your PC into safe mode and reset it to stock speeds again. Then just start overclocking it again but remembering not to go so high this time round.

I know it's a bit of a simple description but I don't feel like typing an essay on the dos and don'ts of overclocking a graphics card when there are so many tutorials on the subject on sites like www.tweakfiles.com www.hardocp.com and www.tomshardware.com

Thanx

------------------
    "It only takes one tree to make 10,000 matches and it only takes one match to burn 10,000 trees!"
    Clevo P150HM - Intel Core i7-2760QM Sandy Bridge - 16Gb 1333Mhz DDR3 RAM - SanDisk Extreme 240Gb SSD - Radeon 6990M @ 740/1000

thanks for all your help folks! i just bought the Elsa Gladius video card so I cant wait to get it and see how good it is.

One day I will get a new MB/CPU that can take full advantage of it lol.

------------------
    AMD K6III 400
    Asus P5A
    256 MB PC100 RAM
    Maxtor 30GB ATA/66 7200
    Creative Riva TNT2 Ultra
    Creative SB Live Value!
    3Com Cable Modem
    Linksys 10/100 card
    Linksys 4 port hub
    Asus A7N8X Deluxe
    XP 2200+ TBred