video card recommendation?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: video card recommendation?

video card recommendation?

I am a pretty hardcore gamer and would like to know a good PCI video card I could use for games such as Soldier of Fortune and Hitman. Also, what is the difference between open gl and direct 3D? I am running about 600 MHz and 128 MB RAM, INTEL Celeron, HEWlett PACKARD. DOES AGP make a big difference vs. PCI?

It does now that 3DFX are dying pretty fast.
    The V5500 was the best pci card around, and now that most of 3DFX has been bought by NVidia, the Voodoo cards are on their last legs, I doubt if we'll see any more driver releases.

If you are dead set on getting a PCI card then I would try and find a V5500 before they are pulled from the shelves.

Other than that you will be looking at an AGP vid card. Which is going to be better in the long run ( I cannot say whether your mobo has an agp slot though)

You could get a good Geforce(agp) based vid card, and also Radeons(agp) arent bad cards either.
    Have a look for some reviews.

Dont go out and buy the best card available though, cos you need a fast cpu to go with it and I'm affraid that celeron is not going to cut it with a top of the range vid card.

If your not sure as to whether you have an agp slot then open your case up and look for a brown slot(agp) that is above the white slots(pci), but not in-line with the white slots.

D3D and OpenGL are just diffent methods of doing 3D graphics for games, most good cards support both really well.

------------------
    P3 800e @ 1 Gig with Alpha PEP66 (YS-Tech fan: bloody noisy)
    BF6 Mobo
    Geforce2 GTS
    256M PC133 Crucial
    TurtleBeach Santa Cruz
    Iiyama VisionMaster Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Thanks for your reply. I know for the computer I have, I can only get a PCI card. To tell you the truth , I will be buying a new computer. I am a gamer, and if possible could you give me some recommendations on a good mother board and a good video card. I am not looking for top of the line stuff, something good though, something to push internet games like soldier of fortune and counter-strike and fast games such as those. HOW many MHZ and RAM should I at least have? Thanks.

Blimey!
    That can be answered in so many ways!

CPU:
    Go for either P3(intel) or Thunderbird(amd)
    Anything around the 600-800Mhz mark is a good starting point.
    Memory:
    256M of PC133(at least) cas2 memory (cheap at the moment)
    Mobo:
    Have a look at review sites for motherboards, cos there are plenty to choose from, also have a look around these forums to find out what people like.
    Video Card:
    Geforce(enough variations of these to suit your pocket and needs) or a Radeon card.

A setup like this is not strictly cutting edge but its a fast system that will last you quite a while, and run current games quite well.

Have a good look around at review sites and decide what you want from there.

------------------
    P3 800e @ 1 Gig with Alpha PEP66 (YS-Tech fan: bloody noisy)
    BF6 Mobo
    Geforce2 GTS
    256M PC133 Crucial
    TurtleBeach Santa Cruz
    Iiyama VisionMaster Pro450
    Xp1800
    Soltek DRV5
    Corsair PC2700 cas2
    GF4 Ti4400
    Santa Cruz
    Barracuda IV
    Hollywood+
    Iiyama Pro450

Anitdaisu Guest
    to brief you a bit about the different API'S(although i'm not very good in this area) but i'll tell you this. Direct3D in a lot of cases looks uglier than OpenGL. Direct 3D looks to have direct access to your systems hardware. It is more complicated to code for. OpenGL on the other hand is the API of choice for NT based systems. It is simpler to program(at least from what my friend told me ) Anyone can lend a helping hand? heheh

------------------
    Stop Trying to Hit me and HIT me

Thread Information