is it worth overclocking a Viper V770 (non-ultra)?
Home | Reviews and Features | Special Reports | Forums |

Thread: is it worth overclocking a Viper V770 (non-ultra)?

is it worth overclocking a Viper V770 (non-ultra)?

still waiting for the Matrox G800, and until then I was thinking of overclocking my TNT2.

I plan on replacing the stock heatsink (I think it's too small) with a bigger heatsink and add a decent sized fan, using the Arctic Silver Thermal Adhesive (not the Paste).

my questions are:

1. is it worth overclocking this aging card at all?

2. should I just attach a 40'mm fan onto the stock heatsink and then OC?

3. should I need to flash the card's BIOS to TNT2 Ultra after adding the mods? or can i simply raise the core and memory speeds?

Thanks all!

Anitdaisu Guest
    just raise memory and core speeds combined with great cooling

------------------
    Stop Trying to Hit me and HIT me

Go ahead and overclock it. The TNT2 cards overclocks well!. Anyway you get more performance for free so why not try it?. I overclocked my TNT2 M64 & believe me it was great. I went from 1850 3Dmarks to 2650+ marks!. Not bad for a M64 ?. Definitely it is worth overclocking. I only used a generic 40mm fan over the heatsink which originally came with the card, & I think that is enough. Let me know your results after overclocking.

1. AMD AXP 2600+ @ 2.34Ghz (167x14) Cooled with CoolerMaster Aero7+ / Asus A7V8X-X (KT400) / 1GB 333MHz RAM / Maxtor 120Gb DMAX Plus 9 / GeCube Radeon 9600Pro / PixelView PlayTV Pro / Acer 21” Monitor / SB Live! / NEC ND-2500A 8x DVD±RW / Sony CRX-320EE Combo Drive

2. AMD AXP 1600+ (Stock cooler) / MSI K7T Turbo2 / 512Mb 133MHz RAM / Maxtor 80Gb DMAX Plus 9 / Gigabyte Radeon 9200 / Philips 17” Monitor / Sony CRX 160 CDRW / Asus E616 16x DVD

3. IBM 300PL PIII

Why miss out on the free speed??? Check out the rumors concerning the G800 at www.matroxusers.com

------------------
    Gimme my TriLevel Cache
    Modded Matrox Parhelia 128mb Retail
    AGUIA Y TBRED 1700+@2ghz
    Epox 8K3A+

Overclocking anything carefully will give you a performance increase, almost no doubt about it. Just always make sure you have proper cooling when overclocking your components.

[This message has been edited by PlunX (edited 01-02-2001).]

Originally posted by zoom:
    my questions are:

1. is it worth overclocking this aging card at all?

2. should I just attach a 40'mm fan onto the stock heatsink and then OC?

3. should I need to flash the card's BIOS to TNT2 Ultra after adding the mods? or can i simply raise the core and memory speeds?

1. Ofcourse! It always does!!

2. You definatly put a fan on that HS to do some overclocking, atleast i recommend it to you!

3. Flash it to a ultra! that way it runs faster ALWAYS, not only when you load your overclock util..
    When you've those thing it's time to get tntclk and start finding the edge of your card

AND something that i found out that REALLY pushes the card is changing the memory-timings..

these works great for my 770 non ultra: 0 3 0 1 0 4 2 6 2

------------------
    Fast, Faster, WooHoO!!!
    Fast, Faster, WooHoO!!!

how do i flash the cards bios? i looked on the nvidia website, theres nothing about bios flashes. do i need to look on the diamond website? and also if i do flash it to an ultra, will it run at 150/183 all the time like an ultra?

------------------
    Everyone makes mistakes.
    I create disasters

Oliy.

go to
    http://www.zoiah.net

click on Tools, Tutorials & nVidia based Video Cards and you should find all the recources you ned to flash.

I'm on my way. I've just put on a 40'mm fan on top of the stock cooler just to see how it runs. I'll have a slot fan under as well.

Thread Information